Author Topic: Pagets of Knockglass (Mayo) and Kinard (Sligo)  (Read 9219 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pagets of Knockglass (Mayo) and Kinard (Sligo)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 15:02 GMT (UK) »
the following may be of help: http://www.linleyfh.com/oursecondsite-p/p597.htm
this is a website with similar names and reference to Major James Paget

James PAGET(died 1901) married Jane Caroline KNOX(died 1906) of Mayo in Dublin on Aug 19 1857
Civil reference Dublin South 1857 Vol 5 Page 290 in St. Mark's Parish
Church record: http://www.rootschat.com/links/0gb0/
Jane was the daughter of Major John KNOX of Greenwood Park & Jane Adelaide HANDY

They had several children according to the linleyfh.com site; I can see Thomas Cecil Oct 27 1984 (bap Crossmolina) registered BALLINA V19 P22 and female Oct 05 1866 (bap Crossmolina) registered BALLINA V19 P21 but not the others easily.
Listed on another web site is Jane PAGET m. henry Julien RICHARDS of Barnagh House, Mayo 1893; Annie PAGET m. Thomas Robert HENDERSON 1902; Violet & Caroline

Thomas Cecil PAGET died in Dublin South Jul-Sep 1890 aged 25 ref: V2 P401

A follow up on wills could provide more information
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
  • The whole is the sum of all our pasts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 November 11 05:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Myluck, I was amused to see in that 1857 wedding record for Captain James Paget, that his father- in-law was his witness. That was because the groom's father was bitterly opposed to the marriage. An article in the Freeman's Journal of 21 Nov 1857 describes how Thomas Paget verbally attacked John Knox his fellow magistrate, during a court hearing, for having stolen his son! I wonder why he was so opposed?
These details are interesting, but my original question remains. Who was the father of James Paget of Kinard (1803-1872) and what relation was he to the bad-tempered Thomas Paget of Knockglass?
James Beatty, Farmer, of Aghavoory, near Fivemiletown, Co. Fermanagh, 1797-1873. His son James Beatty, born Fermanagh 1842, Married Marcella Paget in Dublin 1873, had a drapery business in Ballina, Mayo approx 1860-1875 and emigrated to Victoria, Australia 1878. His brother was Archibald Beatty,  Merchant of Lisnaskea/Ballina/Liverpool.
Paget family of Knockglass, Crossmolina, Mayo, Ireland and Kinard, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo, Ireland, 1600s to 1878.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 November 11 05:38 GMT (UK) »
http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=218
Probably no news to you, but may be of help to someone else researching these families.
PM

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 November 11 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes you're right pastmagic. That's really useful information for this family, and it originally helped me identify my gg grandfather James paget and put me on the track of the several Pagets who emigrated to Australia in 1877. Up until then, we only knew of my great grandmother (and alias) Marcella who came out here. I'll be following up on some of the references it mentions on my trip to Dublin.
James Beatty, Farmer, of Aghavoory, near Fivemiletown, Co. Fermanagh, 1797-1873. His son James Beatty, born Fermanagh 1842, Married Marcella Paget in Dublin 1873, had a drapery business in Ballina, Mayo approx 1860-1875 and emigrated to Victoria, Australia 1878. His brother was Archibald Beatty,  Merchant of Lisnaskea/Ballina/Liverpool.
Paget family of Knockglass, Crossmolina, Mayo, Ireland and Kinard, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo, Ireland, 1600s to 1878.

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 May 12 04:59 BST (UK) »
If you're interested in this family, I've found out much, MUCH more about them in the last few months and have written up what I've discovered on my website: 

http://taggerty.wordpress.com/

I've also contributed the details of the deeds I've consulted to the Registry of Deeds index project which should gradually become a fabulous online genealogy resource.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~registryofdeeds/

Many thanks to those on this site for your help and encouragement.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 May 12 08:34 BST (UK) »
you're very welcome -congrats and continued good luck
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 May 12 10:32 BST (UK) »
Congratulations! It makes interesting reading. :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 May 12 11:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys. Isn't our hobby great?

Offline Michael P.H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 January 20 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi... It was fascinating to read all you've uncovered about the Pagets on your website. I tried to comment there, but my comment didn't appear for some reason, so I decided to try here. My interest in the Pagets stems from the fact that I own a small part of what was once the Fahy estate. More interestingly, I own the site where the house stood, along with a couple of derelict outhouses and half of the walled garden.  It was very interesting reading about the people who lived there, and what went on. Anyway, hopefully you'll get to see my comment here.........