Author Topic: where in Ireland is this?  (Read 7156 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: where in Ireland is this?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 August 12 12:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I have the marriage now - Free BMD has him as Fagen.
So that isn't going to point to a birthplace in Ireland  :-\

We'll just have to wait until Cass comes back (hopefully) for any news.

(sorry- didn't see your post with same info.)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline claire31

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 10:26 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this complicates the situation but I found the military records of James.  During WWI he served 89 days and there is little info but he had served 18 years in the militia.  With a huge helping hands from those reading armed forces threads the militia records were found.  On these he claims to be have born in Newry.  Does the name on the 1911 census match at all places which could be associated with Newry?

Thanks Claire
Fagan - pos County Down, Workington, Manchester, Holberry - E. Retford, Manchester
Skinner - Devon, Manchester
Rainey/Reaney - Ireland,County Mayo, Manchester
Murphy, McCormish, Kelly, Dunn, Paddon, McAleavy, Messenger, Carruthers
Dunn - Sligo, Manchester, Scotland
Gratrix - Didsbury
Johnson/Johnstone
Siddons

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 10:41 BST (UK) »
See www.thecore.com/seanruad to find townlands, civil parishes, etc. in Ireland (be sure to change default setting from exact match). 'Kil' means church so many places in Ireland start with 'kil.'
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 10:46 BST (UK) »
There are Fagans in Kilkeel,County Down..you can see them in the Griffiths Valuation,,,including a Patrick. I can see a marriage in Kilkeel in 1854 between a Patrick Fagan and a Margaret Winters,Patricks father is an Owen Fagan.Might not relate to your search,,but,thought i would mention these people as the names occur in your posts,,,i can show you the marriage detail if you wish to see it.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 10:54 BST (UK) »
just noticed doing a search that you already have this info ,,,you were on a forum in 2008,,they gave you this marriage and some baptisms of children,no James i see.

Baptism 17 Dec 1853 of John Fegan, Father Patrick Fegan, Mother Margaret Winters, Kilkeel R.C. Church.
Baptism 4 Dec 1858 of Edward Fegan, Father Patrick, Mother Margaret Winters, Kilkeel R.C. Church.
Baptism 20 Apr 1861, Mary Margaret Fegan, Father Patrick, Mother Peggy Winters, Kilkeel, R.C. Church.
Birth 20 Aug 1871, of Francis Fegan, Father Patrick, Mother Peggy Winters, Kilkeel R.C.Church.
Birth 19 Feb 1874 Owen Fegan, Father Patrick, Mother Margaret Winters, Kilkeel R.C.Church.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline claire31

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for that, I had found on the second term in the militia he confirmed he was from Kilkeel.  I do have the info regarding the family and I think from a different site someone had suggested a birth of a James but it was around 1852.  I have been looking at the militia records of other fagans or Fegans from Kilkeel and found Owen, Edward, Patrick, Francis and James all signed up for various terms.  Patrick was particularly interesting as he lists all the above brothers as next of kin and mother as Margaret.  James is described as James younger and Edward as Elder.  James second term he has his mother as next of kin and living in Workington but I am still searching to see if she died there, may have to take a trip to Record Office.  Thank you for the continued help it is invaluable.

Claire
Fagan - pos County Down, Workington, Manchester, Holberry - E. Retford, Manchester
Skinner - Devon, Manchester
Rainey/Reaney - Ireland,County Mayo, Manchester
Murphy, McCormish, Kelly, Dunn, Paddon, McAleavy, Messenger, Carruthers
Dunn - Sligo, Manchester, Scotland
Gratrix - Didsbury
Johnson/Johnstone
Siddons