Author Topic: Official Ceremony somewhere in Northumberland 1930s? <COMPLETE>  (Read 11850 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Re: Official Ceremony somewhere in Northumberland 1930s?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 24 October 11 13:56 BST (UK) »
Apologies for jumping in and suggesting a blow-up of the pamphlet on the RHS of the photo.

In my haste to be helpful, I didn't realise the post was on two different sub-groups of Rootschat, the photo restoration site and the Northumberland site so I didn't notice someone had already done a blow-up.

Not quite as easy as in Silent Witness/The Body Farm/Morse etc etc but someone, somewhere MUST know.

Gen in NBL UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 24 October 11 13:58 BST (UK) »
I'm pretty certain it's not Edwina Mountbatten. Apart from anything else, by all accounts she spent most of the 1930's having fun  :o  :o and it wasn't until the start of World War 2 that she began to settle down and think of anyone much apart from herself.
I think it's much more likely to be a local dignitary.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline muso_bob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 24 October 11 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hello treetotal (Carol) I did see that post and have it sitting in its own browser to work on.
I will now have another look at the lady to see if it is Gran (whom I never met).
Thanks JenB I tend to agree with you as well. I still wonder about Lady Mary Trevelyan - will check out potential spouse that has been indicated.
Cheers Robert
Turnbull - (Cramlington - Northumberland)
Turnbull - (South Shields - Durham)
Winn - (Morpeth -  Northumberland)
Hill - (Staffordshire - [Wednesfield] - Shropshire [Pontesbury])
Bedwell - ([Leiston] - Suffolk) - ([London] Middlesex)
Fisher - (Suffolk)

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 24 October 11 14:10 BST (UK) »
Robert
Can we try another angle? - there are a lot of us who want to know the answer now, not just you! Question - (If this little girl is your mother) Why was she presenting the flowers? Answer: she went to the local primary school and/or it was her birthday... etc etc, but could it be that she was an employee's daughter, so what was her father's work, and/or her mother's?  I don't think we have covered this - correct me if I have missed it.

I am now going to fly over your area in Google Earth, I know Gnu you have been there, but...

Kath
Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Longfield - Yorkshire/Newcastle
Franklin - Lincs/Yorks border
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Aitken - Fife/Lincolnshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 24 October 11 14:14 BST (UK) »
I agree Kath...Brainstorming works  ;D...I too have searched images for that time period and come up with nothing...Like  others have said.
Here's a crop of the lady
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline muso_bob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 24 October 11 14:15 BST (UK) »
I only have a very ordinary image of my grandmother from a very low res email. See attached.
The vacant seat - I wonder if that is the little girl's coat. I have enlarged the seat label - no result.
Is the man next to the standing lady a Lord Mayor?
Robert
Fisher - (Suffolk)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 24 October 11 14:27 BST (UK) »
Just been throught the Times Archives (and sorting out a  funny in  husband's computer) searching on Northumberland, Royal visits; Sir Charles Trevelyan, openings,  etc. from 1930-1939 and, so far, I've only come up with the fact that the Duke and Duchess of York (King George VI and Queen Elizabeth) visited Tyneside in the last week of July 1936. I don't think the lady is the Queen Mum though as she seems rather tall for her.  Lots on Election addresses and very interesting local stuff which I'll go back to  ;D

I take it that we all agree that it took place in the summertime  ;D

gnu

Added - now looking for Violet, Viscountess Allendale  ::)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline muso_bob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 24 October 11 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Kath, yes I am getting the impression I am not the only one who doesn't like to give up.
My mother was born Cramlington 12Mar1924 father a caretaker (possibly at Viscount Allendale estate) My grandfather  moved into the coal mine (from notes I have come across from a new found aunt) My grandmother was Jessie Turnbull, daughter of William Wallace Winn Butcher of Morpeth.
Mum's parents marriage was in St Mary the Virgin, Morpeth, 1922, my mother bapt St Nicholas Cramlington. They lived at Beacon Farm. School?

I am snatching at all these bits and pieces as I try to put my mothers' family together - she is deceased and never divulged anything about her family. The ultimate 'clam'! I have progressed immensely since becoming a devotee on Rootschat - w12 months ago knew absolutely nothing other than my mother's birthdate and her parent's marriage.

So there we are - you wonderful people! I am so grateful.
Robert

Fisher - (Suffolk)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 24 October 11 20:53 BST (UK) »
Things have moved on a pace since I was here last night!

I wondered about the woman on the left being the child’s mother but came to the conclusion that if the child’s only role was to present flowers then she would probably not be sitting up with the dignitaries.  Still ‘mother’ does look concerned doesn’t she.

I’ve been looking at photos of the Wills Factory on the coast road - not built until the late 1940s but in Art Deco style.  It’s obviously not this building but the entrance does have some things in common with it so I’m still thinking that it’s a 1930s building - perhaps it was the opening of the building itself.

Christine