Author Topic: Workhouse eligibility  (Read 1257 times)

Offline gwenllin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Workhouse eligibility
« on: Sunday 23 October 11 05:26 BST (UK) »
My ggggrandfather died in the Union workhouse in Cardiff in 1905.  He had been born in Cowbridge in 1827.  Shouldn't that have been his parish?  He was ill with kidney tumours so maybe Cardiff had an actual hospital.  I had read that one had to go back to one's parish to get aid.  My Joseph Lewis had been living in Pudsey, Yorkshire.  Thanks, I know some of you know about workhouses because I saw them discussed in the threads.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Workhouse eligibility
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 October 11 14:10 BST (UK) »
The workhouse responsibilties of the parishes ceased with the formation of the unions after 1834.  I am not sure where the poor law union for Cowbridge was located but could it have been in Cardiff anyway?  By 1905 this would have been irrelevant anyway as by this time the unions had adopted a role which was mainly to act as a hospital for those living in the area.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 October 11 14:19 BST (UK) »
This may be of intrest:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Cardiff/
PM

Offline gwenllin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 October 11 16:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your suggestions.  It does look like in 1905 the workhouse in Cardiff was primarily a hospital.  There was a workhouse in Cowbridge, as well, but maybe they had expanded the eligibility requirements.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 October 11 00:09 BST (UK) »
Cowbridge had a parish workhouse until 1834.  A poor law union was formed in 1836 with Bridgend and between 1836 and 1838 a union workhouse was built at the east side of Quarella Road in Bridgend which served the area between them.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Bridgend/
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk