Author Topic: Lichfield Asylum, Burntwood, Staffs,  (Read 9018 times)

Offline mevans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Lichfield Asylum, Burntwood, Staffs,
« on: Sunday 23 October 11 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hello folks,
Having found LAVINIA CLARKE (56) in this asylum on the 1911 census, I would really like to find out how she came to be in there ( & also confirm that she is the correct Lavinia that I am trying to trace)  But I am not sure WHO  to contact to ask for the information that relates to her...has anyone out there tried to get the info on this institution ?? If so can you advise me on how to go about it ????

Many thanks,  Margaret.
Hale/Harris/Minchin/Green/Ward/Brough/Farmer/
Hollock/Goddard/Axhorn/

BIRMINGHAM.

Offline sugs

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lichfield Asylum, Burntwood, Staffs,
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 October 11 13:29 BST (UK) »
Try www.archives.staffordshire.gov.uk/DServe/dserve.exe
and put in Burntwood asylum
Sue

Offline belmichael64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 October 11 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

The records for Burntwood asylum are held at the staffordshire record office - If you email them they should be able to tell you if the Lavinia Clarke is the one you are looking for (you will have to give details such as date of birth etc). If you want to look at her records you will have to apply to do this as it is subject to the 100 year rule. You will need to complete an application form (they will send you one) and you have to have permission from the closest living relative. They will then have to get permission from the health Authority for you to access the records. (I am currently waiting for permission to see the records of one of my relatives from another staffordshire asylum!) You will also have to pay a fee for them to check the records. I have found the Stafford record office extremely helpful and efficient!

Good Luck!

Bel :)
Gilbride - County Fermanagh
Flockhart - Auchterarder, Perthshire
Forster - Tunstall, Stoke-On-Trent
Noden - Silverdale, Staffs
Michael - Inverness, Edinburgh, Auchterarder
Michie - Gamrie, Banffshire
Podmore - Burslem, Stoke-On-Trent
Pye - Eccleshall, Staffs
Shepherd - Aberdeenshire, Wick, Caithness

Offline Tony138

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 January 12 18:17 GMT (UK) »
If you would like to see some pictures of Burntwood Asylum (latterly St Matthews Hospital), please see here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/118052891639398691495/StMatthewsHospitalBurntwoodStaffordshire

Like so many similar places, it's now a housing estate.  Only the main administration block and chapel survive.  The admin block is now flats and the chapel is a day nursery for toddlers.

Tony

Briggs family, Chadsmoor, Cannock;  Matthews family, Hednesford; Beckerleg family St. Ives; Wilmin family, Banbury; Rothwell family, Runcorn.

Offline UpstairsDown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 February 12 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Also still extant is part of the farm that supplied the asylum with food and a small portion of the burial ground. This was recently cleaned up and 7 headstones installed for soldiers who'd died at the Hospital during and after WW1.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 18:58 GMT (UK) »
I sent for a death cert of a relative of mine who died in the early 1950's hoping it would tell me why she was in burntwood but it gave other causes, basically heart problems but nothing else. I was told by a relative who was a midwife that she would be in for what now people refer to as baby blues. Also she could have come out but did n't want to and the marriage was n't good either. I don't know whether this info is correct or not. The same relative told me one other relative who we heard had been hit on the head in a pit ,she reckoned the symptoms were due to a the mother being in labour too long, agitation etc.  On his death cert usual heart problems i've come to expect but also schizophrenia. Looking at the generations it looks to me as if there was one person with known mental health problems in 3 generations. Also my brother married with someone with the same surname as himself but no obvious relation but similar occupations and not too far out in living areas. I think they'll all come together somewhere, there's also another branch in the areas my dad's generation grew up in and i wonder whether they'll link up. Common first names though!!!