Author Topic: 1900 Queensland Electoral Roll Qualification Query  (Read 6642 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1900 Queensland Electoral Roll Qualification Query
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 November 11 06:34 GMT (UK) »

Thanks JM, this is a very significant find and while my GGF was born in NY it is highly likely that his father or Grandfather was born in England, I have yet to determine this though.

A major advance, thanks again for this information.

Regards
Gerry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 February 12 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry,

Just a follow up .... I think the following paragraph establishes that the electors needed to be British Subjects, either natural born or by naturalisation.   I do not yet know HOW the administration confirmed if the person seeking to enrol was actually a British Subject.

The following is actually one paragraph is from page 18 (of 502) of  A Statistical Account of the Seven Colonies of Australasia  1895-96 

T A Coughlan.  (he was the NSW Statistician)

I have broken it up into several paragraphs, and put some highlights in there too.

“Queensland, which formed part of New South Wales until the end of the year 1859, was never under the nominee system as a separate colony, but commenced with Responsible Government, under which its first Parliament was opened on the 29th May 1860. 

Its Legislative Council consists of members nominated by the Governor.  There are thirty-eight at present, but no limit is fixed to the number.  The tenure is for life.  The qualification for members is that they must be 21 years of age, and natural-born or naturalised subjects.   They receive no remuneration. 

The Legislative Assembly, of which there are seventy-two members, is elected by the people.  Electors are enrolled under what is practically manhood suffrage, the only condition being six months’ residence.  Persons who possess freehold property of an annual value of £10, or who hold property on lease at an annual rent of £10, or a pastoral lease or licence from the Crown, are entitled to vote in every district within which such property may be.  Any person on the electoral roll is qualified to be a member of the Assembly

The duration of Parliament is limited to three years, and members of the Assembly receive £150 a year, with a free railway pass, and travelling expenses in the case of those members who are not in receipt of official salary.  There have been eleven Parliaments, the average duration of which has been three years and three months.”

Sent to the NSW Government Printers during Sept 1896.

It and many other of Timothy A Coughlan’s books are free for downloading as pdf files at the Australian Bureau of Statistics website here:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0k5k/

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 February 12 03:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM,

Nice find, you have definately answered the question about my GGF being from the USA but being eligable to be on the Queensland State Electoral Roll in 1895.  He did own property and had been a resident for more than 6 months.

It appears that having a miners right might have been a qualification as well being a licence from the Crown.

I guess once he was on the pre federation electoral rolls he just continued to be on the Commonwealth Rolls.

Gerry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 April 12 04:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry,

Well, last evening our friends at our dinner table returned a book borrowed some time ago.  We share various family history reference books.  I can now confirm various significant dates and criteria re eligible to enrol to vote matters !

Source “A Guide to New South Wales State Archives relating to Responsible Government” published November 2005 by The State Records Authority of New South Wales,  ISBN 0-9757845-0-1

Dec 1859 Qld formally separated from NSW.  So, prior to that the NSW conditions would be significant, and would have carried over into Qld until (or if) Qld altered these.

The (NSW)  Electoral Act of 1858 "established manhood suffrage alongside property voting.  All adult males who had lived  in an electorate  at least six months before making of the Electoral List and were either ‘natural born’ or had been naturalised  and had lived in the colony for three years were qualified to vote.  The property qualifications were retained and allowed an adult male to vote in every electorate where he had the necessary property.  Holders of miners’ rights were allowed to vote in the three Gold Fields electorates and electoral qualifications were specified for the election of a member to be returned by the University of Sydney when the number of graduates reached 100.  However, no elector could hold a right to vote more than once at any election in an electoral district.   Members of the Police and serving members of the naval or military service were barred from voting as well as paupers, prisoners and persons of unsound mind......”   (This is part of two paragraphs from page 94 of the above cited book).

Clear as mud perhaps ! But the over-riding criteria was that the electors were British Subjects, either by being born such or by formally becoming such !

Cheers,  JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 April 12 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,

Thanks for the update, this changes things a bit for my GGF.

If Qld continued on the NSW requirements there were two facets to being able to vote.

Firstly, the qualification to get on an electoral list. by way of 'natuaral born' or 'natuarlised', lived in the colony for 3 years and in the electorate for 6 months.

Secondly, the qualification to get on a specific electoral roll or rolls by way of having roperty or miners right qualification.

My GGF was on the 1900 Qld ER (qualified in 1895) and his marriage certificate says he was from the USA but his death certificate says South Africa.  I cant find any naturalisation papers in the QLD Archives so if he was from the USA he shouldn't have qualified assuming Qld followed the NSW requirements.

Maybe the USA birth was made up and he really came from South Africa or England via South Africa. 

This adds to the mystery which I hope to solve one day.

Gerry