Author Topic: *completed again* 1960s Marriage Cert / Reg Details  (Read 5261 times)

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
Re: *speedily completed* Thanks to Janette*1960s Marriage Cert / Reg Details
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 October 11 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Mare,

I phoned Internal Affairs and have been told it is only a copy of the CHURCH register,so have ordered a cert and printout which will have our parents names on.

Cheers Janette

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 October 11 22:02 BST (UK) »
So what do I have to ask for to make sure I get the one with parent's names on it.... This is trickier than I thought it would be....
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 October 11 22:04 BST (UK) »
Interesting, Janette .... not that I've ever needed to produce it  :-\  and not sure if I'll order a printout, leave that for our children to spend pennies on if they want to, maybe...

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 October 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
The one given to me at our wedding doesn't have parent's mentioned but it has our attendants and our signatures.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 October 11 22:37 BST (UK) »
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline ellipitt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 11:40 BST (UK) »
I'm finding this really interesting!!

Many years ago, in the 50s-70s you could an 'Extract' of a Birth Entry. The 'Extracts had the person's name, date and place of birth, BUT no parents' details, and were certified by the Registrar. About A6 size - sometimes paper, sometimes card. They were usually used when first enrolling a child at school or similar event.

To get a passport then (which you didn't need for Australia until the late 70s?), you required a 'Full Birth Certificate' - along the lines of what we have today .... name/dob/place of birth/sex/parents names, ages, place of birth/mother's maiden name/father's occupation. The parents also supplied the date and place of marriage which was recorded in the Birth Register but NOT on the 'Certified Copy of Birth' - altho' it would be typed on the back of the certificate if requested!!

I wonder if some churches provided an 'Extract' of the Marriage Entry from their Register?? A shortened version along the lines of the Birth Extracts?? And that's what you have??

Certainly I have copies of my parents' original marriage certificates (1946-1957 = 3 in total), all in churches, and they all have the parents details on them. Maybe a hunt thru' the relevant legislation on a wet, windy day when there's nothing else to do ....

Best wishes
Elli

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 20:05 BST (UK) »
Should I mark this as incomplete until we solve the mystery????  :-\

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 20:35 BST (UK) »
Up to you KG.

I can remember purchasing one of those A6 ones, have it somewhere in my treasure boxes, from memory in the 70's it cost about $12.00 or under.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 23:50 BST (UK) »
Yay, back on the 'live' board till we can sort out what is what...

If you ask for a copy of the marriage register - do you get the parent's details?  Or is there a more specific term to use to get that?

:)