Author Topic: Jacob Davies Rhosllanercrugog  (Read 12617 times)

Offline Lolly Willowes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob Davies Rhosllanercrugog
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 October 11 11:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all this new and fascinating information - lots of puzzles. I haven't had time to follow it up yet, but plan to do so in next few days. 

Offline Lolly Willowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 October 11 14:55 BST (UK) »
Lots to think about!
So in 1871 Jacob wd be living at Plas yn Clawdd, Gardden, a farmer. With John 15, Elizabeth 13 & Jacob 9 while wife Mary is a few miles away in Pentrefelin, Morton Above with Louisa 15. I wonder why.  (I have looked at 1833-43 map of area but can’t find Plas yn Clawdd or Pentrefelin. However, there’s a Pentre y clawdd just east of Gardden Lodge. Can't find them on the current OS map which you sent me the link to. Are you familiar with either of these places?)
1871 mistake re Mary's age: 10 years out. Could this be an enumerator's mistake? The other puzzle is Louisa's birthplace : Ireland or Staffs? Maybe the mistake is in fact in 1861 census & she was born in Staffs like several other of the children. I guess I need to look at census returns for her as married woman to see which birthplace she gives. But then are the marriage records going to be straightforward? I'll pursue this later. There's a similar 'mistake' made in relation to John in 1881 who is recorded as  born Rhosllanercrugog but in 1861 born Staffordshire. Were mistakes / confusions like this fairly common?

re Blackwell Index/Mary Wright: what is the Blackwell Index? Can I access this? many of my family were Methodists & it sounds a plausible source for Mary (though gnu has pointed out this is a common name). Would it have marriage & christenings too for nonconformists? I haven’t yet got a record for Jacob & Mary who were married by the time of 1851 census. [Their son Jacob was married at Cannock Register office 1883 so was Methodist by then.]

I'll try following up Albert & Louisa.

Thanks again for all your help.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 27 October 11 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Lolly

The Blackwell Index is the Non-conformist Index of (mainly) baptisms for  Denbighshire to 1837. It doesn't cover all the chapels but is the best source.  It can be purchased from Clwyd FHS:

http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/misc_pubs.html

and scroll down.

The marriage of Jacob and Mary is a puzzle. It would have had to be around 1851 but they don't appear on the NW BMD or the GRO index. The most likely RDs  would be Corwen or Wrexham but, so far I've not found them.

Will get back to you if I find anything.

gnu

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 27 October 11 16:13 BST (UK) »
Locations ~

From the 1871 census, Plas yn Clawdd is between Fir Tree Cottage  and Ruabon Colliery and Gardden Hall. So it might well be in this area:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0g1e/

Pentrefelin was between Hall Street  and School Street. This is  the approx location, as far as i can work out:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0g1f/

(Felin is the mutated form of melin = mill, so look for a mill on old maps - see http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html)

So, although in the same general vicinity, they were about 1-2 miles apart.

William Russell Jones might know more exactly as he has ancestors from Rhos whereas mine were closer to the Rhosymedre end of Ruabon parish.  I did spend the first 18 years of my life in the area and continued visiting regularly until a few years ago but I hardly ever went to Rhosllanerchrugog  ::)

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 27 October 11 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again Lolly

I've found Plas yn Clawdd on the old maps site (link in previous posting).

If you go to the site and enter Rhosllanerchrugog. Then, when the modern map shows manoevre to the area of Gardden Hall and click,  pin should show where you've centred the map. Now select the 1879 map from the selection on the top right  and choose enhanced zoom.

Plas yn Clawdd is to the East of Fir Tree Cottage (opposite it) and North of Gardden Hall.

gnu

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 27 October 11 17:22 BST (UK) »
GODFREY PEMBERTON.  This may be him.

THE SINGULAR DEATH OF A LIVERPOOL POLICEMAN .
Liverpool Mercury  Monday, February 24, 1873
Police Officer Godfrey Pemberton  went on duty from Rosehill police station with deceased man.

The Lancaster Gazette May 27, 1882
On the 24th inst . Death  of Godfrey Pemberton, late of West Derby, policeman aged 35 years.

Deaths Jun 1882   
PEMBERTON  Godfrey  35  Lancaster  8e 486
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 27 October 11 17:26 BST (UK) »
 :D

I'd forgotten about the Pembertons - got deep into old maps.

So  Louisa may possibly have married again then - any sign of them on the 1881?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 27 October 11 17:35 BST (UK) »
In 1871, Godfrey Pemberton was in Hatton Gardens Police Section House in Liverpool  RG10/3771/34/5  Aged 26, born Ruabon.

Not found either on the 1881 so far  :-\

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 27 October 11 18:08 BST (UK) »
A note of caution here centred around the same confusion re Ireland/Staffs:-
The other party in the 1871 "pairings" for the Rhosymedre marriage is David Phillips and I would say that Louisa Davies(b.Ireland) might marry him.. and he is a brickmaker.... and they move to Lancashire....

1881   3781   107   47

Roger