Author Topic: Marriage in India  (Read 4238 times)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in India
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 October 11 15:19 BST (UK) »
hi jacoby
love that tale of rose anna i can just imagine it all as it may well have been that she felt it was her turn to be waited on as she,d been servile to others most of her life good on the old girl i love it  ;D ;D ;D ;D.
so your dad was a chauffeur was it to anyone special or famous , i used to fancy that as a job when i was younger .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Jacoby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 October 11 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
As that story amused you I'll bore you with more, My Dad apparently was a bit of a handful and was shipped off to live with  Edward and Rose, they probably thought a military man would be stricter but he was their darling and they wanted to adopt him but his  family wanted him back That's why the address in Watford was so great as I can search for Dads family starting in that area.I know they lived in London somewhere. I think that's why I'm obsessed with this couple as they could well have been my grandparents. In 1923 at 13 he took off to Australia the story goes  he had his 14th Birthday on the ship (Have yet to prove that) seeing this written down I'm wondering where he would have got the money for the trip or could he have stowed away (vivid imagination I can hear you thinking ) I found the farm he worked on in NSW from a reference letter given to him on his return in 1931, I'm afraid no rich and famous are involved (well as far as I know) in the chauffeuring dept.

I don't want you to do it for me but can you give me some idea as to how I would find a shop that Edward ran/owned there is no mention of it in his will dated 1936 so I'm wondering if it was before they moved down to Leigh in 1927 it must have had to registered somewhere I'm guessing. Thanks again.
Jacoby

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 27 October 11 21:30 BST (UK) »
hi jacoby

you,ll never bore me with tales of our forebears , dad sounds like he was a rare lad and certainly had a colourful life not many would have been that adventurous .
this bit is entirely up to you and i wouldn,t be offended if you don,t want to do it  but if you let me have dads name and birth date i can look to see if he is in the passenger lists for aus .either do it on here or pm me  your choice either way .
as to the shop the only documentation would be the purchase or selling of it no other registration would /is necessary over here , what you could try is putting a post on the hertfordshire board to see if anyone on there can help you only if you know the name of the shop or the address someone is bound to know something i should say .

have a look at GENUK  on the home page click on hertfordshire and then click on genealogy on the left hand side it will take you to another link  for the hertfordshire family history society if you get in touch with them they may be able to help as well .
regards
trevor

Offline Jacoby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 27 October 11 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Trevor,
I have no problem giving you my Dads details he was Edward Hubert Rayner born Aug 1909 in Edmonton. His last 4 years in Australia he worked on a farm and the nearest port I think would have been Sydney imagining thats where he went to.
Im sorry to be thick but dont know what pm means but think maybe personal mail ? anyway my e mail is (*)  If your in England you are 5 hours ahead of us so happy dreams
Jacoby

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 October 11 19:43 BST (UK) »
hi jacoby
hope you are having / had a good day , well i ,ve just had a look in passenger departures and here is dad ,
EDWARD HUBERT RAYNER  departure 24 june 1925 london to sydney  , age 15  occupation greengrocer .
ship name beltana
official number 131853
captain , c h allin
steamship line , peninsular & oriental steam
where bound , navigation company australia via the cape service .

dads last address in england was , 277 green lanes , findsbury park , n4.

i,ve sent a copy of the document for you as well .
now off to see if i can find an arrivals doc in the aus records .
speak soon
trevor

Offline Jacoby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 28 October 11 20:18 BST (UK) »
Boy I'm having a great day now thanks to you,  feel so bad taking up all your time but what a fantastic find, thank you (You should do this for a living !!)  the story goes it was his 14th Birthday he celebrated on the boat but this makes much more sense it was his 16th. thinking he would have had to be older and have a job to pay his fare wouldn't he.
Cant find where to get the copy of the document you sent but the info is just as good in this form, How long have you been interested in this hobby ? Can I pick your brains again where you you get info when the census aren't available, and am I right in thinking they only release same after 100 years so the next one wont come out till 2021 ?  I'm not going to ask you to keep finding things for me but would be so pleased if I can come to you for starting points but don't want to be a pain
Thank you so much once again
Barbara

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 October 11 20:29 BST (UK) »
me again  ;D
i,ve had a look in aus national archives but didn,t have any luck  but it was only a quick search , you can access the archives yourself as it,s a free site but they may ask you to register with them , also if you google old ships pictures you should find a site that again is free where you will find a picture of the BELTANA  that dad went over on there are 11 different pics of ships named beltana so go to number 11 that is an old official post card pic of the old girl .
sorry for not explaining more about the personal message service on here , only it is safer to use that than posting e mail addresses online in case they get hijacked for spam or worse , but i thank you for your trust in me by letting me have it , i did ask the moderators to erase the address after i,d written it down .
by the way yes i,m in england , on the east coast in suffolk but i,m an old essex boy by birth and heart ( were looked on as foreigners up here you know ).
regards

trevor

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 28 October 11 20:56 BST (UK) »
at last a name  ;D hello barbara  it,s so much more cosy talking to a name  ;D.
 never feel bad about asking for look ups or just asking questions that,s what roots is all about no one on here would do it if they didn,t get something out of helping others searching out stuff is what makes it worth while and it keeps the little grey cells active  ;D.
hasn,t the e mail come through with the document or has the e mail come through but the doc is hidden some wher only i,ve had probs before with that sort of thing .
i,ve been interested in doing this way before pc,s came on the scene must have been in the 70,s when i first made tentative looks into it but of course then if you wanted to get anywhere it meant spending as much time as pos in records offices which lots of people did but i wasn,t one of them so it,s only in the last 4 years that i,ve been able to have the time to do it and with the amount of stuff coming online almost daily it is much easier .
yes your right the next census should be released in 2021 this last one was released early to find my past by popular demand and should be open to all soon i think .
without census data you can still get births marriages and deaths up till 2005  so it is pos to find people virtually up to date .
please don,t be afraid to ask for lookups i love doing this and it gets boring doing one own all the time so a break and doing stuff for others is a refreshing change especially as now when you dig up some info on sites other people don,t have access to , if there are things you don,t want the world and his wife reading then send a pm i really don,t mind helping .
best wishes
trevor

ps looks like where crossing over messages here in the excitement  ;D of the day .
gues you,ve just got in from work as it,s getting on for teatime your end i suppose ( or as you would have it dinner no doubt  ;D )

Offline Jacoby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 28 October 11 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
An Essex boy wow, Where exactly ?  My husband and I are both from Essex, Leigh, Westcliff and Rochford when we got married in 69, We emigrated to Canada in 1980. I know what you mean about being an outsider, my Sister moved up to just outside Norwich 40 odd years ago, loves it but says if they are discussing something  and she has a different opinion they just say well shes from London isn't she !! as if that explains everything.
We are both retired so feel this would be a good hobby for us, I did start in the 80s as a friend was a Mormon and they had a library in the church, as you said it was an awfully long process with files being on fiche etc then life sort of got in the way but now with the computers its so much quicker (or will be when we have got the hang of it)
I will indeed get the picture of the ship and search some more we were waiting till the colder weather to join the sites but don't know if we can wait that long ..... never learnt patience that's my problem.
Best wishes
Barbara
p.s will try the pm way