Author Topic: Marriage in India  (Read 4242 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in India
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 19:23 BST (UK) »
freebmd.rootsweb.com shows a Edward A. Rayner d. 1936 Rochford district (Essex, covers Leigh), aged 66.  

http://www.1911census.co.uk/ - try them on the 1911 census, there's a possible couple in Watford. His middle name is Albert.

Is it possible they met in India and married in Wales, or that she was never in India at all? The 1902 marriage trevor found is interesting because with the same reference is a possible marriage for her sister - David John Draper + Eleanor Williams. Any family stories about a double marriage?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jacoby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Trevor,
My Edward Albert Rayner was from Canterbury born Sturry 1870 Father was Edward Ernest Rayner. He would have been 20 in the census but everything else fits he was in the 21st Lancers The marriage info sounds very hopeful. I had been told that Rose was a nanny to an army family so was thinking they met in India but the 1902 date makes much more sense as he was wounded at Omdurman in 1898 and would have probably been back in England doing a desk job which I know he did at the end of his carear, This has been an ongoing project which I have just got back into after many years, I have decided that when the cold weather comes I would join Ancestry.com to check censuses and records etc. Which sites have you found most helpful ?
Thank you again.
Jacoby

Offline Jacoby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
No stories of a double Wedding but, in Edwards will he makes "his wifes sister' Nellie draper  a trustee so it seems the marriage is definately the one I was looking for, I had no proof that they met in India or indeed she was ever there, it was just a starting point, thanks so much for the clue about Watford on the 1911 census, I suppose an address would be asking to much.  he did attend a dinner in London in 1911 so that fits .

The 1936 death was Edward they had lived in Leigh for 9 years so the obitury says, I remember the house well as my Mother took me there whilst she looked after Rose.

Thanks again
Jacoby

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 20:44 BST (UK) »
hi jacoby
firstly the 1911 address was 32, market street ,watford .hertfordshire
i,ve looked in passenger lists for rose anna williams and can,t find one but the records only start in 1890 so if she left earlier obviously we won,t find her ..
in the 1911 census edward is listed as an instructor to yeomanry  and born sturry kent .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Jacoby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Trevor,
Again many thanks for the address, He was an instructor but I didnt know where, You have saved me so much time as I was told the regiment was back in India in 1911 and they thought he might have been in located in Canterbury.

They Edward and Rose looked after my Dad  (another Edward) for a few years but Im thinking it would have been inbetween the two censuses still the story is taking shape now, again thanks for your trouble and would you know if Ancestry.com is a good site to start with ?
Jacoby

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 22:21 BST (UK) »
hi jacoby .
sorry forgot to answer your query re different sites , personally i use find my past most of the time , but do have access to ancestry i also use the genealogist and family relatives all for different reasons find my past has all census years also army service records up till 1913 then ancestry takes over for ww1 FindMyPast also has the passenger records out bound from england from 1890-1960 where as ancestry has inbound passenger records , look up FindMyPast and see the list of info they have online .  also the genealogist covers census records from 1841-1901 but i also use them more for the non conformist records these cover religious groups such as the methodists quackers baptists and the like which are not covered on many sites ,
family relatives are good for the army lists and they also have a lot of obscure data on there that others don,t have . so in answer to your question yes ancestry is a good start as it has such a wide coverage of records . but don,t forget to use google for searching if you come up against something that isn,t on ancestry i always tell folk do a google search it,s amazing what sites come up sometimes my favourites is full of obscure sites that may well come in handy somewhere along the line .
sorry to ramble on but it,s what i do best  ;D .
while i have your attention ( that is if i haven,t sent you to sleep ) i,m sure this is the 1881 census for rose anna .

thomas williams 37 farm baliff born lladdewycwm brecknockshire
elizabeth williams 41   llanusey brecknockshire
david 14 farm servant crickadarn brecknockshire
joseph  11 llangaltoe brecknockshire
john   9 llanusey brecknockshire
rosanna  4   glasbury brecknockshire
ellen   1 glasbury brecknockshire
address llanigon tyla , hay brecknockshire

1891 census
hugh henry powel   powel  37  jfc brecknock   born london
margaret emily grizel powel 35
hugh evan price powel 3
eleanor mary powel  9 months old
jane elizabeth neve 30 cook domestic servant
mary elizabeth wood 22 housemaid  domestic servant
may heath 23 nurse domestic servant
rose anna williams  14 nurse girl ,  domestic servant born glasbury brecknockshire
address 5 cambridge road hove sussex

1891 cen thomas williams 47 farm baliff
elizabeth williams 51
john williams 19  carter
eleanor  williams 11 scholar
address lower cwmtadu , merthyr - cynog  , duffryn honduu lower brecon

so far haven,t found rose anna in 1901 cen but will have another look tomorrow as it,s getting near time for me to lay my weary head down ( arrrrrrrh poor old boy   ;D ).
speak tomorrow some time .
best wishes
trevor

Offline Jacoby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 October 11 13:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the details on the different sites, seems you have to be on more than one to get everything so shall check them out as you suggested. You didnt put me to sleep by the way you actually woke me up a bit !!

The other info was so interesting,It filled in a lot of blanks.  Please dont go to anymore trouble as I feel I have taken enough of your time,
Hope you had a good sleep and are raring to go again.
Thanks again
Jacoby

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 October 11 14:17 BST (UK) »
hi jacoby
this is a possible 1901 census for rose anna
william hughes  49 inn keeper
annie hughes 48
gladys annie hughes 5
rose williams  20 domestic servant  born glasbury brecknockshire

i,m only too glad to help it keeps the old grey cells moving so never fear on that score , if i can be of any more help then please ask .
regards
trevor
ps
slept like a log last night  ;D ;D

Offline Jacoby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 October 11 14:39 BST (UK) »
Again thanks, It seems Anna moved from the Powels employ in that 10 years, doesn't it but stayed in the same line of work. I think it highly unlikely that she ever went to India. Now I know all this it makes how she was in later life  even more amusing My Dad told me that if he went to visit (this is obviously years later) she would get him to put his chauffeur hat on and take her in the car to the high street where she would get him to park outside a shop, beckon the shopkeeper and place her order, without ever leaving her seat !!! I always supposed it was because she had been used to servants in India, nought so funny as folk so they say.
Again thanks