Author Topic: Help appreciated - Arthur Wells from Leicester, England  (Read 1638 times)

Offline angela4088

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help appreciated - Arthur Wells from Leicester, England
« on: Tuesday 25 October 11 10:14 BST (UK) »
Arthur Wells and Sarah Louisa Clarke emigrated to Cape Town and were married at St Mary's Church, Woodstock on 21 July 1894 (articles from The Cape Register and The Cape Times).  I think Arthur worked on the railways and they came back to Leicester in 1921 to visit as I have found passenger lists.  They had three daughters, Violet Annie (b 1898), Florence Maude(b1895), Nellie Louise (b1900, d 1918).  Violet married William Smith, daughter Elaine Yvonne (m Peter Niemaan).  Florence (Maude) married William Stelljes, daughters Nellie (married Harold Knowles, children Trevor and Carol) and Lilian who married Mr Bartems and then a Mr Jones/Jonas - children Arthur, Valerie, Jeffrey, Elizabeth, Philip (1960/70s).  I would appreciate any guidance on how I can find out more about their reasons for emigrating and their lifestyle in South Africa.  Thanks!

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help appreciated - Arthur Wells from Leicester, England
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi in response to your post.Have found a record for Arthur.Try this link. http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm200gi.

Then click on the RSA repository box, when it opens type in Arthur on the first line and Wells in the second line and enter.

A list of documents will appear, just click on Result Summary and then click on each and you will see what info each one contains.On page 1 I found a record of Arthurs estate in 1928.WELLS, ARTHUR. ESTATE PAPERS. Cheers Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline angela4088

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek

thanks so much for the info on Arthur Wells - he is in fact the Arthur Harry Wells listed who died in 1932.  Presumably I have to e-mail the relevant repository box address to find out the actual content of the documents? Also found his son-in-law's estate papers listed so will try to find out more.  thanks again, Angela

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 November 11 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela from the post by Empea on the main board.
The Genealogical Society of South Africa has a "pay to use" service which will enable you to obtain pictures of documents held in the National Archives.

Go to http://www.eggsa.org and select Content --> On Line Shop --> order Archive documents.  Once you have selected the currency, select "Enter the Shop" and then select "Archive photos" (in yellow on the blue band) and follow the instructions.

Much quicker than trying to get the Archives to reply to your e-mail requests!! Cheers Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Dean Wells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,I have just found this post about Arthur wells,can anyone please tell me the names of his mother and father please,kind regards Dean

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 September 23 08:30 BST (UK) »
There  is an entry for him on Familysearch showing parents https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/GC2M-Q6P
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual