Author Topic: Baptism - Daniel CLARK - 1801  (Read 2579 times)

Offline Tiggee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism - Daniel CLARK - 1801
« on: Tuesday 25 October 11 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, i'm new to Rootschat and was wondering if anyone could help me. I am looking for a birth record of Daniel Clark born c.1801 in Standon, Hertfordshire and especially the parents names. Unfortunately I live in Wales and cannot get to Hertfordshire to look up local records. I have checked numerous online sites and I would very much appreciate it if anyone could help me or advise me where else to look. Thank you.

Offline jacques

• I have opted not to receive notification of any new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Clark
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 16:43 BST (UK) »
Welcome

No luck on baptism.

On GenesReunited there is a "Richard" showing an interest ib Daniel Clark b 1801 Standon herts.

You may already be aware of him

Good luck
Wragg Sheffield/Rotherham
Noble  Sheffield/Derby
Kirk     Sheffield/Northumberland
Lenton Sheffield
Ward  Deryshire
Twigg Derbyshire

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright(see www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism - Daniel CLARK - 1801
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 13:42 BST (UK) »
Welcome Tiggee!

Unfortunately Herts baptisms are not available on microfiche only microfilm so few people purchase them. (Film viewers being considerably larger than fiche readers!).

Many Herts records are available on the BVRI but I have checked this with negative results.  Your only real hope is if someone offers to check at the Herts Archives (HALS) for you.  These records may also be available at Buntingford or Ware libraries.  Perhaps a local could check for you.  HALS also offers a look up service but there is a charge for this.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,292382.0.html

I am going to move your post over to the LOOKUP REQUESTS board to see if anyone can help.

Best Regards
Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tiggee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 18:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much for your help and for the information you have given me.

Offline paulalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 February 12 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Have you had any luck with the look-up? I'm also interested in the Clark's of Standon. My ancestor was William Clark, born about 1797. It seems as though William and your Daniel were shoemakers. I have been wondering if they are related.

Years ago I did go to the the Hertfordshire Records Office to look at the baptisms but found they were really really faint, especially for 1797, and very hard to read. My William's baptism is also not in the IGI. I'll have a dig through my written records from my time spent at the records office as I'm fairly sure I noted down all the Clark baptisms around that time that I could read.

William's marriage to Mary (of Standon according to the census records) is also not listed in the IGI nor your Daniel to Esther. They also don't feature in Allen's Index of Hertfordshire so am scratching my head as to where they did marry.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wolverhampton, Islington: Billingsley
Hammersmith, Manchester, Kent, Islington: Smith
Yorkshire: Hauxwell, Woodward, Butterfield
Darlington: Theakston
Essex: Harvey, Stock, Mead
Kent: Strong
Wokingham, Hammersmith: Thorpe
Oxfordshire: Rawlin(g)s, Johnson, Humphries, Curtis, Pope, Bossom, Simpson

Offline Tiggee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 February 12 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Paulalou for your reply. I am still looking but unfortunately I haven't found anything. I also believe that your William Clark could be somehow related.

I did find Daniel Clark's marriage. He married Esther Brett on 21st January 1822 in St Leonard's, Shoreditch. Is it possible that your William Clark married there?

As to the Clark's of Standon, I have another ancestor from Standon in the name of Edmund Clark. He married Ann Brett in Standon on 21st December 1822. They moved to London between 1828 and 1831. I think that Edmund and Daniel are also somehow related. I do know that Edmund's father was William Clark, a miller. Again, there is no information on Edmund's father, William. Interestingly, I found a William Clark aged 70 in the 1841 Census in Standon who was a shoemaker. Could he be related to your William and my Daniel?

I am still looking and if I find anything I will let you know immediately! Once again, thank you for your help.

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 March 12 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I searched the Standon baptism register at HALS and agree they are very hard to read.  However, I did manage to decipher one entry - 19Nov1797 William CLARK s/o Joseph and Ann  but no such luck for Daniel.

Regards    ...    Peter
Census information is Crown Copyright http:/www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tiggee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 March 12 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi PeterCornish,

Thank you very much for having a look. It is much appreciated. Unfortunately it seems that I will never know!

Regards

Tiggee