Author Topic: Optimise Scotlandspeople searches  (Read 151964 times)

Offline carolcox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Optimise Scotlandspeople searches
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 15:12 BST (UK) »
I was just about the start searching SP when I found all your comments.  This has made me very scared about how much I am going to spend.  I will just have to bite the bullet and try and follow your  instructions. 
Carol

Moderator Comment: Carol's post continues on the Midlothian Boards here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,599280.0.html

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

I think this discussion has become a little bit overwhelming unfortunately  :-\ I think sometimes when people try to comment on their experience and you have many people doing this, new people may indeed find it indeed a little bit scary, understandably....and that is actually the opposite of what this post is trying to do. I think that is a pity really.

This post is meant to be really about tips and help for people coming to SP for the first time:

• The use of the wildcard '*' to replace characters is essential often. Given spellings in those times, spelling variations are always a bit problem. When searching on SP, which is rigid on its spellings, how you write it is how it will search....
  • On the issue of spelling variations, in respect of first names, there are a number of first name variations that are worth considering if you have a problem finding what you are looking for. www.whatsinaname.net is a great site for checking on first name variations. In respect of surnames, you also have to be creative on the use of the wildcard. For example, always search for Mac/Mc names as M*c.
  • Golden rules on SP such as: use the minumum number of letters, use widest possible age/year  range - all to keep you within 25 entries per page...1 unit! Cut back on years, add a few more letters to get you to that 25 entries per page if required. This is all about maximising your unit(s). If you make an error on viewing an entry, you then have a wider search result list to try again (without having to pay another unit..!)
  • When you are using any pay to view site, you always aim to maximize you money! On SP you buy units - £7GB gets you 30 of them. You search first (even if you know what you are looking for with certainty) and this costs 1 unit. You then view an image for 5 units. So as you can see, if you were very precise and exact, you could view 5 BMDs or census images for £7/30 units. This fares well with the current £9.25 cost of ordering a single BMD cert in England or Wales, and viewing is instant
  • The reality is that you will have problems sometimes finding the right BMD entry. In the main though, this would happen also through the GRO for England and Wales and in Ireland. A lot of the issues here are no different to what happened in the rest of the UK: people were vague sometimes about their age, spellings were fluid, and you sometimes/often don't find people where you are expecting. Just a few of the issues that get in the way...

The tips and guidance are already on this thread.....

People sometimes do get frustrated and annoyed about not being able to find the right entry for a BMD and make comments here about their frustrations...not sure though whether this is necessarily to do with SP or just frustration overall which is understandable  ::)

Without going over the top, Scotland have a fantastic resource with Scotlands People. It does have it quirks and pitfalls (for me, mostly when searching for census entries and the search field options). In respect of BMDs, we are so lucky to have SP at our fingertips and being able to download instantly, at a very reasonable cost, BMDs up to acceptable time frames (due to data protection/privacy issues).

Carol, ask for advice and help in the early stages as often as you need. RC members here on the Scottish boards are very experienced and comfortable on the SP pecularities and can offer advice along the way always.....  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 17:31 BST (UK) »
Very sensible advice, Monica. I had ups and downs in the beginning but, over time, you eventually get to "learn the ropes".

Carol, just read and digest what Monica says. You may well have a few little problems but it does become clearer eventually.

CaileanMac may well find she/he does have Welsh or English ancestors one day. ::). I'm a mongrel (as is my OH) so we have no trouble supporting a rugby team!
Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline stuartroxy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me at work! But not any more :0(
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 04 January 13 16:08 GMT (UK) »
The SP website still indicates that BMD images are only available till 1911/1936/1961 respectively.  I was expecting to be able to view a 1912 birth cert by now.  Have I missed something?

stuartroxy

PS.  I was, initially, paying a fortune for unwanted certs - mostly because I was not aware of the excellent pointers on this thread; and the expert advice offered by the kind people here.  Thanks again!
Roxburgh/Rock/O'Rouk - Edinburgh/Glasgow/Australia
Slora/Slorach - Edinburgh/Aberdeen/Moray
Roberts/Robert - Edinburgh/Torphichen
Cochrane - Edinburgh
Johnston - Shetland/Australia
Davison - Sunderland
Curtis - Sunderland/Norfolk
Shirran - Aberdeenshire/Edinburgh
Rettie - Aberdeenshire
Leng - Sunderland
Lay - Sunderland
Rogers/Rodgers - Sunderland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 04 January 13 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Stuart, they should be up an running now with the additional year for BMDs but I am not sure  :-\ Had a little bit of a family crisis Xmas so not much registering.

Edit: They show this on their site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?2195

Release of the New Year's images on ScotlandsPeople
We are delighted to announce that the New Year's images will be made available on the ScotlandsPeople website on the 1st of January 2013. Images from statutory register of births for 1912, the statutory register of marriages for 1937 and the statutory register of deaths for 1962 will be made available on the ScotlandsPeople website at the turn of the New Year. We hope that you enjoy using these new images, and that the post-Hogmanay lull is the ideal time for it!

Monica  :)

Offline stuartroxy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 04 January 13 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Monica.  I was certain that I'd get a prompt reply!  I had seen the SP note, and it seems that they have just not yet updated the 'Record availability' page.

That said, the search that I have just completed came up with a completely irrelevant image!  I hope that my issue is a one-off and not indicative of some poor indexing! I'll keep you all info'd

stuartroxy
Cochrane - Edinburgh
Davison - Sunderland
Rettie - Aberdeenshire
Leng - Sunderland
Lay - Sunderland

Offline stuartroxy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 04 January 13 18:33 GMT (UK) »
I found the issue - an indexing problem.  Hopefully, I'll get my credits back from SP shortly!

stuartroxy
Cochrane - Edinburgh
Davison - Sunderland
Rettie - Aberdeenshire
Leng - Sunderland
Lay - Sunderland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 04 January 13 18:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure you will! As you know, SP are good at dealing with this type of issue relatively quickly.

Monica

Offline stuartroxy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 04 January 13 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Yup.  I've no doubt I'll get sorted.

stuartroxy