Author Topic: Optimise Scotlandspeople searches  (Read 151992 times)

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Optimise Scotlandspeople searches
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 02 November 13 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Help! I know the name of the children whose births I am searching for and I know that one of them was born in 1915, I also know the names of the parents but I don't know where the children were born. How do I find their births? I am really reluctant to buy more credits as it's a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack. However, if there was an easier way to search for births ie by being able to add parents names, then I would definitely buy more credits to look at the fewer possibilities. Surely there must be a lot of people in the same situation resulting in SP losing out on revenue?

Offline stuartroxy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me at work! But not any more :0(
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 02 November 13 16:31 GMT (UK) »
lalkav,

You won't get access to their BC if they were born after 1912 (or 1913 in a couple of months!); but it doesn't cost anything to search.  It's a bit of a pain, but if you find that date if the individual, you can work your way through the different areas.

Good luck,

stuartroxy
Roxburgh/Rock/O'Rouk - Edinburgh/Glasgow/Australia
Slora/Slorach - Edinburgh/Aberdeen/Moray
Roberts/Robert - Edinburgh/Torphichen
Cochrane - Edinburgh
Johnston - Shetland/Australia
Davison - Sunderland
Curtis - Sunderland/Norfolk
Shirran - Aberdeenshire/Edinburgh
Rettie - Aberdeenshire
Leng - Sunderland
Lay - Sunderland
Rogers/Rodgers - Sunderland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 02 November 13 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi lalkav and Stuart

Unlike the England and Welsh indexes, you cannot search for births online on SP using both the family surname and the mother's maiden name. Makes it more tricky really.

As Stuart has mentioned, there is a 100 yr rule (due to data protection) on viewing images of birth certs online on SP, although you can view the indexes for births.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 02 November 13 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I think I will just have to resign myself to never finding them as they were travellers and the children could literally have been born anywhere. They also used one of either of two surnames and I don't even have a year of birth for one of the children. I was just hoping there was some way I could trace their births by using their parents names like you can with the Irish records as this is how I've found some of their children that I didn't previously know about.

Offline stuartroxy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me at work! But not any more :0(
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 02 November 13 17:04 GMT (UK) »
As Monica has pointed out, searching BC doesn't really allow for parents names etc; however, searching DC does allow you to search 'other' surnames and mother's maiden survey - just a thought.

stuartroxy
Roxburgh/Rock/O'Rouk - Edinburgh/Glasgow/Australia
Slora/Slorach - Edinburgh/Aberdeen/Moray
Roberts/Robert - Edinburgh/Torphichen
Cochrane - Edinburgh
Johnston - Shetland/Australia
Davison - Sunderland
Curtis - Sunderland/Norfolk
Shirran - Aberdeenshire/Edinburgh
Rettie - Aberdeenshire
Leng - Sunderland
Lay - Sunderland
Rogers/Rodgers - Sunderland

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Sunday 03 November 13 13:12 GMT (UK) »
With a few exceptions the mother's maiden name is not recorded in the death index before 1974.

1974-2011

Mothers maiden surname is present in the index for these years.
As a security measure, wildcards are not allowed - if you enter a mothers maiden surname, it must be an exact match for the information in the database or the record will not be returned.
If you search without entering the mothers maiden surname, all records returned will show Not Permissible in the Mothers Maiden Surname column, although the information will be visible on any extract ordered (if known by the informant).
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/FAQs/Questions/index.aspx?64

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Leanne.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 20 February 14 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Dear David

Thank you for this information.

My husband's Scottish family is proving most elusive and the conversion from NZ dollars to British pound is horrendous.   

Anne 8)

I'm having the same problem. My father is from Scotland and I am in Australia
Researching Whitby from England & Australia, Taylor from Scotland & Australia, Norman/Normand from France & Australia. Other last names in my tree Raeburn, Appleby, Ingram, Lynch, Hayes, Baker, Ketley, Newman, Dobson, Holdsworth, Summerill, Summerell.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 10 March 14 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Having not ventured far into Scottish records before could anyone tell me please if for example I find a marriage in the index I want to look at what exactly will I get to see for 1 credit?

If the marriage was in the 1940's or 1950's what information would I be able to see?

Thank you  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 10 March 14 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Milliepede

This is a good guide as to what images you are currently able to view and download online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&413

There are the following restrictions due to privacy etc in respect of viewing images online:

Births 100 yrs
Deaths 50 yrs
Marriages 75 yrs

In respect of a marriage after 1939, you would need to order this. You can do this via the search results page for an entry.

This is a list of current charges on SP www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&409 If you only have one extract that you need from Scotland, it is likely cheaper to order direct from www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/famrec/bdm.html I think they currently charge £15. It is £12 if you order via Scotlands People website...however, you need the credits (at £7 for a batch of 30 units) to get to the search page results to then order...

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk