Author Topic: Weatherhead family  (Read 4018 times)

Offline cynmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Weatherhead family
« on: Tuesday 25 October 11 18:59 BST (UK) »
hello list
Can anyone clarify if the parents of Thomas Weatherhead b 1802 Tweedmouth were Captain Thomas Weatherhead and Sarah Dunn. There is a Weatherhead family with Thomas & Sarah as parents most of whose children were born in London so it seems strange if these parents had Thomas born in Tweedmouth. I cannot find any on-line parish records which could help .
Thanks for reading

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherhead family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The baptism was at Christ Church, Tynemouth.

Thomas Weatherhead, born 13 Nov, baptized 10 Dec 1802. 2nd son of Thomas Weatherhead of North Shields, Master Mariner, Native of Coldstream, by his wife Sarah Dunn, Native of this Parish.

They married at Tynemouth, 16 Feb 1800.

There is Thomas Weatherhead marriage to a Sarah Weatherhead, 8 Sep 1805, St.Anne, Soho, London.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline cynmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 21:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks WolfieSmith for the reply.
I am sure this is the family I am looking for and is not the family of Captain Thomas Weatherhead who was born in London and was famous for sailing the convict ship Phoenix.  Although my Thomas has been attached to the Captains family in other family trees it seemed odd that he had been the only child christened at Tynemouth.
If my Thomas was Thomas's second  son is there any chance of finding any other siblings ?
Any help and info would be much appreciated
Thanks again

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 09:47 BST (UK) »
Can't see any earlier (or later) baptisms or at Tynemouth.
Its possible Thomas had been married before and it was his 2nd son, but not Sarahs. Or the baptism could have been elsewhere.
Their marriage was by License.
The Durham Diocese Marriage Licenses/Bonds are online at FamilySearch, but 1800 is missing. However there is also an online index which gives much the same info.
Feb 13th 1800. Thomas Weatherhead, age 21 years and upwards, of Tynemouth, Master Mariner, and Sarah Dunn of Tynemouth, age 19.
Surety by Anthony Allinson of Tynemouth, Clerk.
Anthony Dunn is her father and consents.
Married at Tynemouth, Feb 16th 1800. Witnesses John Weatherhead and Elizabeth Dunn.

Alan.

Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline cynmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan
Thanks for further info.
I am now certain that my Thomas was not the same family as the Captain even though IGI has my Thomas in the Captain's ancestry file
I have now found Sarah Dunn on IGI with Father as Anthony so this ties in nicely with the marriage details you have given me.
Your info has helped me find the correct family and to step back another generation
Thank you
Cynth

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 20:59 BST (UK) »
This is from a transcript for Tynemouth interesting from the point of view of the places everyone was born and the last names:

Mary Weatherhead born 7 Dec 1804, baptised 2 Jan 1805 1st daur of William Weatherhead,  of North Shields, master mariner native of Coldstream by his wife Mary Dunn native of this parish.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cynmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 October 11 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Janis
This is interesting as I now wonder if William was the brother of Thomas and if two brothers married two sisters.
There is always more to find when researching families don't you think!!
Thanks for your input very acceptable as I haven't access to the parish records.
Cynth

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 January 17 16:47 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if you can help me but I am looking for any information on Joseph Weatherhead, he was a Mariner in the Tymenouth area, as well as his son James Weatherhead born approx 1822 in Berwick upon tweed...I am in Canada and some of the info is harder for me to find, so anything on this family will help, thank you  :)
Kelly, Weatherhead, Wagner, Russell, Smiles (Smailes)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 January 17 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi tamarakel,  Welcome to rootschat  :)

There is a marriage in Berwick upon Tweed of Joseph Weatherhead to Elizabeth Carruthers on 7th August 1820.

This might be him

Christine