Author Topic: Tranent Massacre/John Adam  (Read 17403 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tranent Massacre/John Adam
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 29 October 11 01:03 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

For those reading gnu's last reply, 2/3 was 2 shillings and three pence, about 11 1/4p in today's money.
the 4/6 was 4 shillings 6 pence which was about 22 1/2 p.

Even just writing it, made me realise how much I missed the pre-decimal coinage.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 29 October 11 10:05 BST (UK) »
It seems that suppression of details of the Tranent Massacre may not be the reason that no Tranent burials are recorded for its victims.

SP has 293 Tranent burials for the period 1780 to 1790, but only 3 for 1790 to 1800.  Either the records have gone missing, or (less probably) they were not recorded at all.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 29 October 11 10:40 BST (UK) »
I've just been looking through the Old Statistical Account for Tranent, Hibee, at edina.  There's a footnote saying that the burials were recorded very thoroughly until 1791 and then refers to the Stampt Duty Act as being the cause of the lack of burial records afterwards.

I'm not sure if the particular account was written at the beginning of the OSA report period or to the end.  Maybe the clerk got out of the habit of recording them, or there was a change of clerk.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 29 October 11 12:09 BST (UK) »
But why would this only apply in Tranent?

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 29 October 11 13:35 BST (UK) »
I'm just stating what's in the Old Statistical Account and offering a possible reason  :-\

Are you saying that it was just Tranent or the whole parish of Tranent?

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Lorna1320

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 21:45 GMT (UK) »
What  fantastic and interesting find!  I have just loved reading about ADAMS.  Didnt know there was a massacre - does anyone know how and why it started?

Lorna1320
MUAT (One Name Study) - World-Wide; Thomson/Burn/Dickson/Herkes/Muat/Briggs - East Lothian; Fyfe/Thomson/Mitchell/Petrie/Donaldson/Rust (plus others) - Angus; Dawson/Mudie - Dundee; McLauchlan - Blair Atholl

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorna,

it basically started because the villagers were fed up with their young men being called up for Army duty, each village schoolmaster had to put forward names of those who were of age to join up ( Early Conscription ) I think the number men needed from Scotland was 6000.

If we look at what had happened in the near past of that time in East Lothian we had the Battle of Prestonpans in which I am sure many locals were involved and many killed, with this in mind the local population was fed up with this happening, plus why should they fight in foreign Wars started by the English Government.

All the surrounding villages and Hamlets seemed to gather in Tranent and at that time it was probably the second largest village, the people started off demonstrating peacefully until the man who owned the coalmine a John Caddell ordered them to break up and go home.

When he seen that the people were not going to do that he called for the soldiers who were in the Pub to go out and break it up, the soldiers were drunk but when they set foot on the street they were told to go back, Caddell then sent for the Cinque Port Troopers to come and break it up, when they arrived they were ordered to fire blank rounds to scare the villagers.

Caddell then ordered the troops to kill everyone, this really stirred the people up as it was a real threat, witnesses said they had seen Caddell throwing a stone at the soldiers and of course the soldiers thought it was the villagers that had done it, the Cinque Ports then started to shoot live rounds wounding an killing the villagers.

To date I don't think there was ever an apology given, I am thinking of starting a petition and make it public, my 5th g-aunt was Joanna ( Jackie ) Crookston killed, another relation Janet Hogg her face was slammed of the Pub door by Caddell and possibly Robert Ross who was injured.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Lorna1320

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Archie,

Whow -  this must have been some sight to see, pretty scary and confusion no doubt.  Thank you so much for telling me how it happened. 

I think a petition is a great idea - very courageous.  I will certainly sign it. 

Well done Archie,

Lorna1320
MUAT (One Name Study) - World-Wide; Thomson/Burn/Dickson/Herkes/Muat/Briggs - East Lothian; Fyfe/Thomson/Mitchell/Petrie/Donaldson/Rust (plus others) - Angus; Dawson/Mudie - Dundee; McLauchlan - Blair Atholl