Author Topic: Graves with no headstones.  (Read 3363 times)

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Graves with no headstones.
« on: Wednesday 26 October 11 15:32 BST (UK) »
With the help of a friend I have discovered that several of my ancestors were buried in Plumstead Cemetery but there are no headstones.

I have been given the plot numbers and who was buried in the plot (two family members in each) but I do not understand the wording that accompanied this information. 

With regard to my ancestor's grave - it says the grave was "attended by Edward Watts" who was her son.  I am not sure what this means and would be grateful if someone could explain.

Thank you
Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Graves with no headstones.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 16:04 BST (UK) »
I think it means that the grave was maintained by her son, cutting the grass etc.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 16:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Redroger

That makes sense.

Carole
Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 16:42 BST (UK) »
If you have not already done so you might get more information from the source that gave you the p[lot numbers.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 October 11 20:02 BST (UK) »
Right up to the mid 60's people took out insurance policies to cover their funeral expenses.  However as time went on the amount of money paid out did not stay in line with the gorwing costs of funeral and as such many people in could only afford a funeral and not a headstone. 

Just think of future generations with the new trend for cremation and scattering of ashes.  Nothing to look for!
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 October 11 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Plummiegirl.

I think you are right - there is no headstone to my father-in-law's grave for the same reason.

I also agree that the lack of headstones removes a valuable information source for genealogists, along with the fact that people are not marrying, keeping maiden names or combining surnames. 

The new format for the census doesn't help either.  Things will be a lot more difficult for our descendants.  All the more reason why we should write everything down.

Carole

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 October 11 12:05 GMT (UK) »
For many of our Ancestors there will be little or no work to be done as we will have done the vast majority of it.

I have no immediate family so only do this for my own satisfaction (closest rellies are several cousins on both sides of my family).  But if I had any children there would be nothing for them to do as I have married off most single women and or killed them off.  Same with the men.  In fact I only have around 2% of the people in my tree who are being very tiresome and not holding up their hands so that I can find them.

UPDATE:  Redroger, I have an ancestor who died in WW1 - no body - no grave - the ONLY place where his name is mentioned is the CWGC.  He is not on any memorials in his 'home-town' Roundhay, Leeds.  He died just weeks before the end of the war age 19.  His mother would not accept he had been killed as there were many conflicting reports on what happened.  It was not until around 1924/5 that she eventually stopped writing to the Army for information on whether he had turned up alive and accepted his medals etc., she was a broken woman.

NOT ALL men are mentioned, and I would also assume that there are many who are not mentioned anywhere not even via the CWGC.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 October 11 17:29 GMT (UK) »

Just think of future generations with the new trend for cremation and scattering of ashes.  Nothing to look for!

What about the plaques in the Gardens of Remembrance?

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 October 11 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Plummiegirl - I agree we have done all the work.  Sometimes I think we have deprived the next generation of the pleasure of discovering for themselves.

I agree with Redroger - both my parents passed away during the last 7 years and were cremated.  We have had their ashes interred in our local cemetery and they have memorial stones with detailes inscribed.   Not only does it give information for the future, it is somewhere to go, place flowers etc.

Carole