Author Topic: Help please-Workhouse records for St Johns Union  (Read 3485 times)

Offline Aussie33

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help please-Workhouse records for St Johns Union
« on: Thursday 27 October 11 10:53 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the workhouse records of St Johns Union between 1848-1858 (and possibly earlier)? 

Looking for information regarding the FELTUS family.  On 28 Aug 1848, Susan  FELTUS was baptised in the workhouse & on 20 Dec 1858,Robert FELTUS was baptised there-both children of John & Mary FELTUS. Denomination-Church of Ireland. (from http://www.rootsireland.ie/)

In the notes-both records say that father is in Australia & Father was formerly a policeman.  (Yes, my FELTUS’s did go to Australia; I am almost sure they are the correct baptisms apart from the fact that John couldn’t have gone out to Australia & then back again to father another child/ren & then off again before Robert’s baptism-unless the information was added after the fact-so to speak)

Also trying to find their marriage -John FELTUS & Mary Ann BARTON about 1847. And of John’s parents Francis FELTUS & unknown BALFOUR about 1827.

Thanks for any help
Kerri
Docking,Ettridge/Etheridge, Feltus (Ireland),Fuge,
Sisman/Sissman (Sawtry,Hunt,Eng),Stevens (Lochiel/Crystal Brook,SA) ,
Young (Lopen,Somerset), Maguire(Cavan,Ireland),Betts/Bates (Teston,Kent to Western Australia,SA & Vic), Berridge (Hun,Eng)

Families to South Australia

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Help please-Workhouse records for St Johns Union
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 October 11 11:03 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the workhouse records of St Johns Union between 1848-1858 (and possibly earlier)? 
Also trying to find their marriage -John FELTUS & Mary Ann BARTON about 1847. And of John’s parents Francis FELTUS & unknown BALFOUR about 1827.

I think the Poor Law Union for the town was Sligo, rather than St. John, which is the name of the civil parish.

There's no sign of a John Feltus marriage around 1847 on the civil BMD Index - which covers non-Catholic marriages from 1845. Maybe it took place before 1845 ?

Church of Ireland records (baptism and marriage) for the parish of St. John go back to 1802.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Aussie33

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 October 11 11:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information Shane . I was only going on what was recorded on the baptisms which said-
Parish/District: St Johns Union
County: Co Sligo.

And on Susan’s baptism notes it says: Manorhamilton at the time of birth,workhouse at present.

In regards to marriage of John & Mary- it may have been earlier than 1845. Susan was known to be the eldest child but there could possibly be other older child/ren who didn’t survive.

You said- “Church of Ireland records (baptism and marriage) for the parish of St. John go back to 1802” - When I searched the website, mentioned above, I only found the 2 possible baptisms.

And another child John FELTUS born c 1856- it says on his obituary that he was born in Liverpool- but I have never been able to find his birth.

Do you know if the workhouse records are able to be accessed?

Kerri
Docking,Ettridge/Etheridge, Feltus (Ireland),Fuge,
Sisman/Sissman (Sawtry,Hunt,Eng),Stevens (Lochiel/Crystal Brook,SA) ,
Young (Lopen,Somerset), Maguire(Cavan,Ireland),Betts/Bates (Teston,Kent to Western Australia,SA & Vic), Berridge (Hun,Eng)

Families to South Australia

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 October 11 11:45 BST (UK) »
And on Susan’s baptism notes it says: Manorhamilton at the time of birth,workhouse at present.
Do you know if the workhouse records are able to be accessed?

Manorhamilton is in Co. Leitrim, and about 30km east of Sligo town.

Dont have any first hand knowledge of Sligo workhouse records, but would try the National Archives (Dublin), and Sligo library.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 October 11 14:51 BST (UK) »
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/davidmcivor1859.htm

You may know this already:
Passenger ship David McIvor, 868 tons, Captain Robert Baillie, from Liverpool 27th August 1859, arrived at Port Adelaide, South Australia 28th November 1859

Feltus    John Balfour    3         491/2    Sligo    
N    Feltus    Maria    5              Sligo    
N    Feltus    Mary Ann    29    Servant         Sligo    
N    Feltus    Robert    inf              Sligo    died at sea, Sept. 02 1859 9 months
N    Feltus    Susan    10    

Curiously, and for what it is worth, they also feature on a website of relatives of the poet Auden:
http://auden.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/auden/family.php?famid=F2303

Going on that, The IGI has a subitted marriage in Liverpool:
   Mary Ann Barton    
        John Balfour Feltus
     Marriage:     
About 1848      Liverpool, Lancashire, England     

Curiously IGI has a birth at sea at the same time????

Thomas Feltus    
   Birth:     
1859      , , At Sea
   Death:     
24 OCT 1937      
     Father:     John Balfour Feltus    Family
     Mother:     Mary Ann Barton    

PM

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile