Author Topic: Fyfe/Fife/Fyffe  (Read 8711 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Fyfe/Fife/Fyffe
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 October 11 19:36 BST (UK) »
So far we have:

John Fyfe born c. 1796 m. 1835 Eliza Milne

George Peter Fyfe born c. 1840 m. 1872 Emma Midson

John Fyfe born 1880 m. ? Laura Annie Alice White = daughter Jessie

You realise, this is not necessarily getting us closer to John Snr's (born c. 1796) Scottish roots..... :-\
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline piggle-wabbit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hello, i see its me your looking for..
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 October 11 20:38 BST (UK) »
I know Sorry,

John Fyfe was B abt 1796,

I think Peter Fyfe b 1804 is his brother.
there was also a Patrick list on the ship with Peter & John, but no luck with him so far.
someone suggested a Charles Fyfe & Margaret Mudie as the Parents of
Peter & John Fyfe.

Cheers..

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 28 October 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
Where did the info on years of birth come from?

Offline piggle-wabbit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hello, i see its me your looking for..
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 28 October 11 21:39 BST (UK) »
Tasmanian Archives..

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 October 11 21:50 BST (UK) »
The dates of BAPTISM for John and Peter fit for those parents but there is no Patrick registered to them and there is still nothing to verify this is the right parents

1 29/11/1802 FIFE CHARLES son of CHARLES FIFE/MARGARET MUDIE at  SCONE (PERTH) /PERTH
2 06/09/1807 FIFE CHARLES son of CHARLES FIFE/MARGARET MUDIE at  SCONE (PERTH) /PERTH   
3 26/01/1800 FIFE DAVID son of CHARLES FIFE/MARGARET MUDIE at SCONE (PERTH) /PERTH   
4 19/11/1797 FIFE JANET daur of CHARLES FIFE/MARGARET MUDIE at  SCONE (PERTH) /PERTH   
5 22/06/1811 FIFE MARGARET daur of CHARLES FIFE/MARGARET MOODIE at SCONE (PERTH) /PERTH   
6 14/11/1803 FIFE PETER son of CHARLES FIFE/MARGARET MUDIE at  SCONE (PERTH) /PERTH   
7 22/09/1805 FIFE WILLIAM son of CHARLES FIFE/MARGARET MOODIE at SCONE (PERTH) /PERTH   
8 22/05/1796 FIFFE JOHN son of CHARLES FIFFE/MARGARET MOODY at ST MARTINS /PERTH   

Offline Jill S

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Further to queries about Sir John Fyfe, my understanding is as follows:

He came from Scotland in the early 1800s and married Elizabeth Milne in 1835. They had three children, one being Jannet Elizabeth Fyfe who married George Nichols in 1871 and their son William George Nichols was my great grandfather. I remember him very well as he was alive until I was 7 years old and I saw a lot of him. He married near Launceston and lived there until his death in 1962.

The family story is that John Fyfe was the first Tasmanian school teacher and was knighted as a result. I have been unable as yet to find any records to confirm this. I have a family prayer book which belonged to him and has his name written in the cover It was produced in London by The Religious Tract Society and bound by Baxter Binder 49 Bartholomew Close.

I also saw an engagement notice from a Hobart newspaper saying she was a descendant of Sir John Fyfe of Fyfeshire.

Jill

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 23:48 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if Patrick or Peter & My John were brothers, but it seems likely.

Are you sure they were two different people? In Scotland the names Peter and Patrick were used interchangeably, so that you often find the same individual referred to by both names in different places.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline puffyale

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 03 April 14 14:33 BST (UK) »
Re John Fyfe born c.1796, who came out from Liverpool to Hobart: I have looked at an original microfiche of the handwritten passenger list, and originally assumed also that what was written for the second name was shorthand for Patrick. But, I now believe it is Peter and not an abbreviation. (Is there any other reason to believe it is Patrick?) I have relied on Ron Ebxxx's work to confirm that his father was Charles and his mother Margaret Mudie. This lineage can be traced back another couple of generations, near Old Scone. The breakthrough for Ron in finding this information, which had eluded me despite following the original FYFE list for many years, came from a researcher of the family in the USA, who had the family correspondence. She had been looking for the missing brother who came to Tasmania. She eventually came to Tasmania, "and the rest is ancestry" :-) Ron also had the information for Eliza Milne who was English. If memory serves me, Ron has not followed up on the move of Peter's family to Victoria. I am a Fyfe, and a great-great-great grandson of John Fyfe; my grandfather left Tasmania.