Author Topic: David AYLING - Baptism Record  (Read 6158 times)

Offline suepernz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: David AYLING - Baptism Record
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 August 21 01:44 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this query is still ongoing or if my input will help. In my tree there is an Annie MM Ayling b.1894 (not entirely sure where but could be Chichester) who married Albert Bettesworth (b.1890) in the first quarter of 1915 in Chichester. Albert was my father's half-brother (very big family from Hayling Island) If you'd like to join the Bettesworth Family Information on Facebook you'll find photos and relations of this couple.
Bettesworth: Hampshire and Sussex
Bills: London
Burgess: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Dibble: Surrey
Dobson/Dopson: Buckinghamshire
Hammett: Devon
Mansfield: Cambridge
Paulin: Northumberland
Perkins: Hereford, London and Ipswich, Suffolk
Styles: Devon
Todd: Cambridge
Tyler: Hereford
Tyrer: London
Watkins: London
West: Devon

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 August 21 04:04 BST (UK) »
In my tree there is an Annie MM Ayling b.1894 (not entirely sure where but could be Chichester)

AYLING, ANNIE  MAUDE MARIAN
Mother's maiden surname: PRATT     
GRO Reference: 1894  S Quarter in DROXFORD  Volume 02C  Page 139

1901 has birthplace as Friern Barnet.

Debra  :)

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 August 21 21:31 BST (UK) »
The entire line is on my Ancestry tree called "Aylings of Walberton, Sussex Family Tree". Annie's parents were Henry "Harry" Thomas Ayling (1861-1931) and Kate Pratt. The lines can be reliably traced via the parish records to William Ayling, deceased in Yapton in 1809. He was probably born around the 1740's (based on the longevity of his descendants). Harry's father was William Ayling, born 1822 in Walberton, West Sussex.

While we aren't sure exactly how all Aylings connect, YDNA testing of 11 Ayling men (so far) with ancestors in Iping, Stedham, Lodsworth, Graffham, Woolavington (now called East Lavington), South Stoke, Houghton and Walberton to at least the 1700's confirm we all descend from the same man. I believe he was Thomas Aylyng, noted in a tax document for Easebourne in 1379. His father was William Aylyng, whom I believe was the grandson of Richard Aylyng, one of the first men to record that surname in the 1296 Tax Subsidy for Heyshott, West Sussex.

The surname derives from Hayling Island (not aetheling as I have seen expressed via other web sites). YDNA testing confirms were are Anglo-Saxon in origin, and Hayling Island is presumably where we settled post Roman period. The Island eroded significantly in the 1000AD or so period, so we can imagine Ayling groups migrating up into Hampshire and West Sussex and retaining a memory of their origins. In fact the 1296 Subsidy for West Sussex includes men listed as "de Hayling" living in the same areas where the Aylings eventually settle --the bulls-eye center of their homelands being the parishes around Easebourne. The Haylyng surname disappears and only Ayling (and Aylwin) remain.

Bettesworth is a strong West Sussex name with many family groups. There are some earlier marriages of Ayling to Bettesworth, notably via William Ayling (1605-1671) whose family held Ash House in Stedham for over 200 years.

There is no near-term connection between the Ayling of Petersfield, Hampshire (of which David Ayling on this message string refers) within parish record keeping timeframes. The ancestor-in-common of the West Sussex and Hampshire groups probably resides in the 1300's.

Check out aylinghistory.net

Also if you are on Facebook "Ayling & Aylwin Family History group".

Cheers,

Chris Ayling, Canada
(descendant of William Ayling D. 1690 of Woolavington)