Author Topic: What does IDIOT really mean?  (Read 7677 times)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What does IDIOT really mean?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 29 October 11 08:08 BST (UK) »
Well done Colin.  I am sure that Ile is right.
Andrea

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 29 October 11 08:39 BST (UK) »
It was a technical term, now obsolete. That column in the census allows you to enter lunatic, imbecile or idiot. An idiot was supposed to have an IQ of under 20. An imbecile had a greater IQ, but was considered incapable of managing his own affairs. None of these terms would be used nowadays, and I'm sure  very little robust science went into the decision making process then.

Graham.

The exact definitions of terms such as 'lunatic', 'imbecile', 'idiot' and 'feeble-minded' are extremely problematic. According to the 1881 Census Report;
No accurate line of demarcation can be drawn between the several conditions indicated by these terms. Speaking generally, however, the term idiot is applied in popular usage simply to those who suffer from congenital mental deficiency, and the term imbecile to persons who have fallen in later life into a state of chronic dementia. But it is certain that neither this nor any other definite distinction between the terms was rigorously observed in the schedules, and consequently no attempt has been made by us to separate imbeciles from idiots. The term lunatic also is used with some vagueness, and probably some persons suffering from congenital idiocy, and many more suffering from dementia, were returned under this name.
Considering that householders, who could be illiterate, were being asked to give information about medical disabilities without any definition of the terms being used the answers should be treated with caution. Also they would be unwilling to admit  that anyone in the family had medical disabilities.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tjack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 29 October 11 12:29 BST (UK) »
Friends,
What an incredible response I generated from that original question. My grateful thanks to every contributor. This doesn't have to be the last word on the subject but having (personally) been raised in a village next to Upwell it now seems logical to me that Gt.Gt.Grandad wasn't an idiot after all!! He already had SEVEN children by the 1851 census and a final child born 1852. He was probably working 'away from home' to help make ends meet.
Reading your amazing contributions folks I'm drawn to Upwell Isle (which I believe it was sometimes described as) as a logical explanation of the 'blurred' entry in the column. It definitely fits, being part of the Isle of Ely.
I've only just read the last few contributors who seem to agree ISLE or ILE (for those who couldn't spell back then) is the word in question.Thanks to ALL. tjack

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 29 October 11 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi tjack

So pleased we've managed to find an explanation that everyone seems to be happy with

That's what I call teamwork!  :)

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 30 October 11 01:52 BST (UK) »
You mean idem.
No, I mean item.
                           Pinot
(modified) though by now it's probably irrelevant  ;D

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 30 October 11 12:50 GMT (UK) »
I have found if I cannot read a word on an old document it is sometimes much easier if you invert the document and read it as in negative, ie the writing in white on a black background.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 30 October 11 19:17 GMT (UK) »
That didn't help when I purchased a 17th century property document that was not only in Latin, but also court hand (the old script form).
But yes, that does help normally.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.