Author Topic: National Archives PDF files  (Read 1092 times)

Offline greentrad

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • gg grandad Alfred Smithers
    • View Profile
National Archives PDF files
« on: Friday 28 October 11 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi everybody,

I would like to share this discovery with all of you who don't already know.

There appears to be a gradual change taking place at the National Archives whereby documents that were formerly on microfilm or fiche are slowly being digitised and placed on the National Archives website as PDF (Adobe Acrobat) files. Normally, from home it costs money to download these files, and normally at Kew you have to pay per item to print documents out.

What I have discovered is that if you have your own wi-fi enabled laptop with you when you go to Kew, you can download as many of these files that you would normally have to pay for FREE. When you log on to the public access wi-fi at Kew and log on to National Archives it defaults to the same user area as that of the fixed in-house machines giving you full free access to the online documents service. Its all perfectly legal by the way!

Useful? 

;)
Pillow & Smithers, France, Canterbury & Ramsgate, Kent. Ginn & Saward Lambeth & Rotherhithe, Surrey. Gibson, Kelso, Scotland, Deptford, Forest Hill. Spinks, Colchester & Forest Hill

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: National Archives PDF files
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 October 11 23:40 BST (UK) »
Oooh - that sounds like a good idea!  Must go and try it out ;D Thanks

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greentrad

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • gg grandad Alfred Smithers
    • View Profile
Re: National Archives PDF files
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 11 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Let me know if it works for you, or whether I just happened on a fluke last Thursday!

;)
Pillow & Smithers, France, Canterbury & Ramsgate, Kent. Ginn & Saward Lambeth & Rotherhithe, Surrey. Gibson, Kelso, Scotland, Deptford, Forest Hill. Spinks, Colchester & Forest Hill