Author Topic: John oldfield/Jane Evans Marriage  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Bawill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John oldfield/Jane Evans Marriage
« on: Saturday 29 October 11 15:14 BST (UK) »
I am trying to track down the marriage record of John Oldfield (b 1847) and Jane Evans (b around 1847).
I have John in the 1851 census born in Llanarmon.  I have them both in 1871 and 1881 census, married and living in Eryrys. By 1891 they had moved to Bersham and by 1901 they were in Coedpoeth.  I can't find either of them in 1861 census. 
I know that Jane Evans was born in Llanarmon.  I cant find any record of their marriage in the Freebmd database so cannot get a certificate to help me go further back with Jane's family.
I have a possibility for Jane and her family in 1851 census but need the marriage certificate to confirm her fathers name.
Can anybody offer any suggestions please.

Offline taidgazacaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John oldfield/Jane Evans Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 October 11 22:12 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

I cannot find the marriage in NorthWalesBMD either, so maybe the weren't married.

Regarding Jane, I assume you have her maiden name from one of her children's birth or baptism record. The censuses are consistent in showing her as being one year (or part of a year) older than her husband, i.e. born c1846.

NorthWalesBMD show two Jane Evans' registered in the Llanarmon yn Ial Subdistrict, one in 1846 and one in 1848. I'd suggest you take a punt on the 1846 one. (but maybe you've worked all this out already) 
Savage, Hoskins, Wigley, Edwards, German, Jacks

Offline Bawill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 11 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help.
Yes, I got her maiden name from her children's birth certificates.  In the 1911 census she put her age as 64 so that is where I got approx 1847 for her date of birth. 
Am I right in thinking that whichever of the 2 Janes I plump for will not confirm that I have the right one since I don't know her fathers name? The right Jane could equally be the other one! This is my problem.

Offline taidgazacaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 October 11 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I think you'r thinking is correct. You would not be 100% sure you chose the correct one without some other evidence.
Have you looked at naming patterns? There used to be fairly consistent conventions, for example, first son named after paternal grandfather etc. I'm not sure what these rules were, but you might see something that way.
Another possibility (which I used to sort out my own g/mother and 10 siblings, of which I originally only knew 2) is to look at witnesses in marriages.
Neither of these gives absolute proof, but could point you in the right direction.
Savage, Hoskins, Wigley, Edwards, German, Jacks