Author Topic: Dunns Bank  (Read 9404 times)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dunns Bank
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 15:14 BST (UK) »
My Lloyds lived in the area and Maria Lloyd youngest daughter of John Lloyd and Honor Pearson married George Edward Dunn 1823 - 1896 in 1841 in Dudley.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 September 20 00:12 BST (UK) »
That's excellent! I love reading wills. Most of my ancestors were poor and didn't leave a will.

I wonder what poor old Humphrey's wife did to treat him unkindly. I've just had a look and I have Humphrey in my family tree. He's not a direct ancestor. Thomas Raybould's son Joseph was married to Honor Dunn who was the sister of my 3rd great-grandfather, Elijah Dunn.

That being said, I recently proved that my great-grandad George was born a Stuart (as per a family story) and not a Dunn. I still love the Dunn family connection though.
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 September 20 19:57 BST (UK) »
That's excellent! I love reading wills. Most of my ancestors were poor and didn't leave a will.

I wonder what poor old Humphrey's wife did to treat him unkindly. I've just had a look and I have Humphrey in my family tree. He's not a direct ancestor. Thomas Raybould's son Joseph was married to Honor Dunn who was the sister of my 3rd great-grandfather, Elijah Dunn.

That being said, I recently proved that my great-grandad George was born a Stuart (as per a family story) and not a Dunn. I still love the Dunn family connection though.

Joseph Raybould and Honor Dunn were my 3rd great grandparents.

Sounds interesting re you proving that your great-grandad was born a Stuart and that's a Scottish surname.

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 12 September 20 00:48 BST (UK) »
I was able to figure it out using atDNA. My grandad visited England and came home with a story that his dad was a Stuart-Dunn and was adopted by the Dunns but within the family. We have no idea where this came from but we suspect his much older sister old him. She also happened to name her only son Stuart and I don't think it's a coincidence.

The DNA lead me to his biological mother, who was a milliner, and then I was able to find his birth certificate with a father's name, last name Stuart. I traced the father's family to India and Northern Ireland. It's likely that this Stuart line in NI were given lands during the Ulster Plantation and they went over from Scotland.

I don't know how my grandad George ended up in Wollescote with the Dunns. His biological parents were basically playing house but he was married to another person. He seemed to do that a lot. I think it's likely that he took off or the mother realized he would never marry her so she took off. George's adoptive mother, Betsy Brooks, had a cousin who was a milliner and dressmaker. I wonder if that's where the connection was between the to families.
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 11:37 GMT (UK) »
The was a George Dunn who lived in Quarry bank who was a chainmaker and noted singer of traditional songs. There is a double CD and comprehensive booklet about him available from Musical Traditions, MT CD 317-8. Their website is www.mtrecords.co.uk . Only 2 left!

George was a well-known personality, and recordings of George were made by Ewan MacColl and Peggy Seeger.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline Mari Bach

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 October 21 16:50 BST (UK) »
I’m researching the Dunns of Dunn’s Bank too. Does anyone know where they came from originally please? Family legend says they were Scottish. Thank you.