Author Topic: Uprooting graves:  (Read 3316 times)

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Uprooting graves:
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 October 11 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Malta is in the EU and "grave cleaning" goes on regularly here.  They are running out of space and we don't yet have a crematorium on the island  Our graves are a little different in that there is no soil covering the coffins.  They are sealed with cement and covered with marble.  The graves are like small rooms and I believe, although I haven't seen it myself, that its possible to see the remains from previous burials.  When a grave is "cleaned" more space is made for new burials.  If it is a public grave any remains are removed to an ossuary at the cemetery, if its a private grave I think they remain in the grave but are moved to another area within the grave.  I don't think I grave can be re-opened for two years even if another death occurs in the family.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20101202/letters/death-and-indignity-at-addolorata-cemetery.338834

Luzzu  :(

Luzzu... that's amazing !
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 October 11 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Malta is in the EU and "grave cleaning" goes on regularly here.  They are running out of space and we don't yet have a crematorium on the island  Our graves are a little different in that there is no soil covering the coffins.  They are sealed with cement and covered with marble.  The graves are like small rooms and I believe, although I haven't seen it myself, that its possible to see the remains from previous burials.  When a grave is "cleaned" more space is made for new burials.  If it is a public grave any remains are removed to an ossuary at the cemetery, if its a private grave I think they remain in the grave but are moved to another area within the grave.  I don't think I grave can be re-opened for two years even if another death occurs in the family.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20101202/letters/death-and-indignity-at-addolorata-cemetery.338834

Luzzu  :(

Much the same thing happens in places where land is at a premium for use by the living, at its root is the problem of finding space for 7 billion people to live, but that's another story.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 October 11 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Malta is in the EU and "grave cleaning" goes on regularly here.  They are running out of space and we don't yet have a crematorium on the island  Our graves are a little different in that there is no soil covering the coffins.  They are sealed with cement and covered with marble.  The graves are like small rooms and I believe, although I haven't seen it myself, that its possible to see the remains from previous burials.  When a grave is "cleaned" more space is made for new burials.  If it is a public grave any remains are removed to an ossuary at the cemetery, if its a private grave I think they remain in the grave but are moved to another area within the grave.  I don't think I grave can be re-opened for two years even if another death occurs in the family.

Luzzu  :(

I was both shocked and amazed at the same time when I attended a burial for the first time.  The sooner they introduce cremation in Malta, the better.  I think even that is going to be an up hill struggle considering the letter I've just read in today's newspaper:-

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20111031/letters/Burial-versus-cremation-1-.391519

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 October 11 11:17 GMT (UK) »

Much the same thing happens in places where land is at a premium for use by the living, at its root is the problem of finding space for 7 billion people to live, but that's another story.

A good question for a pub quiz - "Which country has the highest birth rate (as a %) ?"

Most people will say China.  The correct answer is Niger.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 16:11 GMT (UK) »

I was both shocked and amazed at the same time when I attended a burial for the first time.  The sooner they introduce cremation in Malta, the better.  I think even that is going to be an up hill struggle considering the letter I've just read in today's newspaper:-

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20111031/letters/Burial-versus-cremation-1-.391519

Sooner these people realise that death is for ever the better in my opinion.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)