Author Topic: John Duncan Brodie b.1890  (Read 5326 times)

Offline cam18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Duncan Brodie b.1890
« on: Tuesday 01 November 11 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help please.....

My great-grandfather was John Duncan Brodie born June 1890 in Uphall, Edinburgh.

Father: John Duncan Brodie. Born 1864 Peeblesshire. I understand John was a Blacksmith, but his health was not good so he retired early from this. On his son's birth certificate, he is listed as a Barman.
Mother Isabella Rae. Born 1863 in Old Monkland, Scotland (I think) I understand her family may of been involved in the Public House Trade? and that she was also a keen and very talented photographer.
They married in 1887.

Its John Duncan Brodie Jnr (my great grandfather I am struggling with) He married Ellen Lottie M Dean in Deal Kent in 1918 and they had 5/6 children who were all born in Kent, and lived they're lives in Kent. I am however, unable to find the birth of one of his son's (William Brodie)?

John died in 1942 and his death was registered at Dover Kent. He is supposedly buried in the Cemetery in Deal Kent (along with his wife Ellen).

I am unable to find him on any census before or after he married. I am puzzled why all his siblings stayed/lived/Married in Scotland until they're deaths but he moved all the way to Kent.

My grandmother was young when her father died and all she was able to tell me about him, was that he was an Engineer/Inventor and he was away from the family home on the Beach in Deal, Kent a great deal during her childhood. As far as she was aware, he never went back to visit his family in Scotland? I also vaguely remember that he had fought in the War World (both I think) but had some health issues afterwards?? Mental health issues I think.   

Can anyone help with any information on John?

Many thanks

Claire Redsull
Maiden Name: Redsull
Home Town: Deal
Research of Deal and surrounding Villages.
Uphall, Edingburgh
Family Names: Redsull, Brodie, Wall, Broome

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Duncan Brodie b.1890
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am unable to find him on any census before or after he married

You will not find him on any census after he married as the last available is 1911
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 01:09 GMT (UK) »
born June 1890 in Uphall, Edinburgh

Uphall is shown as West Lothian and he is on the 1891 Scottish census with parents

Search 1891 in West Lothian for John Brodie b 1890 parents John & Isabella

Uphall ED 7 Page 18 Line 25
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 01:12 GMT (UK) »
1901 - search on John Brodie b 1891 living in West Lothian

Uphall ED 7 Page  22 Line 2

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 01:14 GMT (UK) »
John Brodie Jr. 36 Publican's assistant Eddlestone peeblshire
Isabella R Brodie 36 England
Helen W Brodie 13 Uphall
John D Brodie 10
William R Brodie 9
Charles D Brodie 6
Jane M Brodie 8 Mos
All children born Uphall west Lothian

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 01:20 GMT (UK) »
This is the only birth I can find for an Isabella Rae 1862 - 1864
Births Jun 1/4 1863   
  Isabella  Rae  Poplar  vol 1c page 671

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Claire, do you have one of the Brodie family trees showing on A/try (Redsull Family Tree)? If so, you should be able to access John Duncan Brodie's WW1 service papers ~ 11 pages there of records for him (simply search with full name, 'John Duncan Brodie').

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 15:14 GMT (UK) »
The Scottish 1887 marriage cert for Isabella and John Brodie would let you confirm her parents' names to trace her back with confidence.

Crisane's entry for 1863 looks good. Isabella and her siblings (Alexander, John and Henry) look to be back in Scotland by 1871 and living with their grandmother Ann Rae in Montrose Angus. By 1881 the Rae siblings show living together in Partick Lanarkshire, an aunt and uncle living with them.

Monica

Added: This looks to be the family in 1861/Poplar before the birth of Isabella. Father away, a shipwright by occupation. Wife Eliz(abeth)? maybe, indexed as Elie, showing from Montrose, Scotland. Surname iindexed as RAY  - RG9/305/68/40.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cam18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou guys x Everytime I try and research my Brodie's....they seem to be playing musical trees lol. All your information will help so so much, because I needed confirmation of certain facts.............thanks again

So, any thoughts on why John Duncan Brodie moved all the way from Uphall to Deal in Kent????? I have come up with 'NIL' reasons. My grandmother (although it appears she never really got time to get to know her father properly) told me before she sadly passed away, that he told her that his family in Scotland, were all very 'well to do' and many family members were lecturers at Edinburgh University..... I think he may of been pulling her leg, cos Ive only found Blacksmiths and Bar tenders lol x

Thanks again guys x
Maiden Name: Redsull
Home Town: Deal
Research of Deal and surrounding Villages.
Uphall, Edingburgh
Family Names: Redsull, Brodie, Wall, Broome