Author Topic: Hathersage Marriage  (Read 3250 times)

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hathersage Marriage
« on: Tuesday 01 November 11 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Can some kind person please check a marriage entry for me in Hathersage? I have George Hall married to Hannah Frost on two different dates. The IGI has 5 March 1827 by a submitted entry and Sheffield Indexers has 3 May 1827. I wonder which one is correct and if there is any other information such as names of witnesses and parents. I think George was from Ecclesfield and Hannah was from Hathersage.

Hoping someone can help. Thank you.

Ann

Offline msallen

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Flint & Ann Slack's wedding day in 1866
    • View Profile
Re: Hathersage Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 November 11 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann

I also have a couple of entries I need to check in the Hathersage PR, so if no-one else gets back to you over the next week week or so I'll have a look when I next get to the record office in Matlock.

If anyone else has chance to look it up first I'd be grateful for a similar lookup (mainly to check for details of their residence if given) for the marriage of George Eyre & Anne Stainrod 29/11/1719, and the baptism of Francis, son of George Eyre 24/1/1722. I'm hoping to confirm or deny that George was from Abney.

Cheers
Mark
Too many to list! But always particularly interested in my eight ggp lines : ALLEN, HODGKINSON, FLINT, SWINDELL, SHELDON, BINGHAM, JACKSON - all in Derbyshire; and ELLWOOD in Cambridgeshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 November 11 06:53 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the March entry may be Banns?

Offline msallen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 November 11 07:05 GMT (UK) »
I suspect the March entry is a mistake submitted to the IGI by an American who misunderstood 3/5/1827 as what we in the UK would write as 5/3/1827.
Too many to list! But always particularly interested in my eight ggp lines : ALLEN, HODGKINSON, FLINT, SWINDELL, SHELDON, BINGHAM, JACKSON - all in Derbyshire; and ELLWOOD in Cambridgeshire

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 November 11 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes! I'm sure that's the answer. Only today I was checking which way the month and day was written with the American version. Thank you. It seems so obvious now.

Regards,

Ann

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 November 11 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I suspect the March entry is a mistake submitted to the IGI by an American who misunderstood 3/5/1827 as what we in the UK would write as 5/3/1827.

Of course! Well spotted msallen!  :)

Offline msallen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 November 11 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann

I checked your marriage today. You were right.

George Hall of the Parish of Ecclesfield married Hannah Frost of this [Hathersage] parish on 5th March 1827. By Banns. He signed, she made her mark. The witnesses were Thomas Smith & Sarah Halls (neither of which were "regulars".

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 November 11 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for all your help. I now have to sort out my George Hall to see if this is the same one that married an Ann Frost, a widow, between 1851 and 1873.

Regards,

Ann