Author Topic: MUAT, Mouat - Worldwide ONS  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Lorna1320

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MUAT, Mouat - Worldwide ONS
« on: Wednesday 02 November 11 22:22 GMT (UK) »
One name study of MUAT/MOUAT names collected for many years from all over the world. Information freely given to all enquirers and any/all contributions gratefully received for entry into my collection.

References from books, newspapers, Monumental Inscriptions, telephone directories, BMD records, Census Returns etc - are all included as are contact details of primary and secondary sources.

Please get in touch if you have any information on this surname.

Many thanks:

Lorna1320
Edinburgh
MUAT (One Name Study) - World-Wide; Thomson/Burn/Dickson/Herkes/Muat/Briggs - East Lothian; Fyfe/Thomson/Mitchell/Petrie/Donaldson/Rust (plus others) - Angus; Dawson/Mudie - Dundee; McLauchlan - Blair Atholl

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hello. Am willing to share tree where appropriate!
    • View Profile
Re: MUAT, Mouat - Worldwide ONS
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 12 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lorna,
I'm in Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia but was born and raised in Melbourne, Victoria.  My mother's (b1926) ancestors came from Scotland and England, and in her tree she has

'Mowat'.

My mother, then her mother's father was Harry Mowat H Miles.  His mother was Margaret Louisa Mowat, b 16 Jun, 1827 in Ratcliff, Stepney, Middlesex.  Her father was James Scott Mowat, b 1796.  No further details.  I think his wife may have been Elizabeth, possibly Harmon, b 1793.

Would we have a link?!

Kind regards
Julie
BOYD: Scotland
FERGUSON: Scotland
KEMP:  Wiltshire, Berkshire, Middlesex, Essex, England
GREEN & DEEVES:  Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, England
MCPHERSON:  Sutherland-Highlands, Edinburgh, Scotland
MILES & MOWAT:  England, South Africa; Australia
GREATREX: England; South Australia
PERKINS:  Cornwall; South Australia
WATKINS: Wales

Offline lesleyY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MUAT, Mouat - Worldwide ONS
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 June 13 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorna,
In my family tree is Mary Ann Fraser (c.1818-11 Feb 1887 Aberdeen).
She was married 11 January 1836 at Old Machar Aberdeen to Magnus Mowat (a merchant mariner of some sort) and they had a daughter Williamina Ellen Mowat in Feb 1841.

I 1841 census Ann Fraser is 20, and Williamina Mowat is 3months old.
and they are living at Guestrow, Aberdeen with Ann's mother.
By 1851 at 51 Skene Square, Old Machar Aberdeen (several families sharing the house)
Mary Ann Mowat aged 28 HEAD of family and Wilhelmina E Mowt 11 scholar.

No sign of any of them in 1851

By 1861 Mary Ann is a 40 yr old housekeeper in Water Street, Aberdeen, her daughter is no where to be found.
1871 and 1881 census Mary Ann is missing

1887 - Mary Ann died at 72 North East Street Aberdeen, death witnessed by her half sister.

So if you know about this family and can shed any light on what became of Magnus Mouat or Mowat, of daughter Williamina Ellen Mouat or Mowat, I'd love to find out what information you might have on this family.

I know there are scores of Magnus Mouat or Mowats listed in various records, and without any age or place of origin for Magnus it could be tricky to find out which one he was and when he died. But there won't be too many WIlliamina Ellen Mowats around.

ancestry in Aberdeenshire, Banff, Kent, Kincardineshire, Moray and West Yorkshire.