Author Topic: Moody, Little Patrick St, Belfast  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Govan Fair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moody, Little Patrick St, Belfast
« on: Wednesday 02 November 11 23:25 GMT (UK) »
I've recently discovered some information on my great great grandparents Alexander Moody who lived at 15 Little Patrick St, Belfast and Phoebe Heaney who lived at New Lodge Road, Belfast. They were both married in 1877 in St. Patrick's RC Church in Donegall St in Belfast. They both moved to Govan in Glasgow shortly after that.  Also, was Clifton Street Cemetery used by members of St. Patrick's or would they also, maybe, have used the City Cemetery?
If anyone has any further information on this I'd really appreciate it. Hope someone can help.
Moody (Glasgow, Ireland),MacDonald, MacCorquodale (North Uist, Glasgow) MacPherson (Glasgow, Skye)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moody, Little Patrick St, Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Belfast City Cemetery has a searchable database -
http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialrecords/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 November 11 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
  The couples' fathers' names were Alexander Moody and John Heaney.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline paulmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 February 12 19:41 GMT (UK) »
do you know of a pub on little patrick st. owned by Patrick Ward and perhaps shot by
Buck Robinson???

pmcg

Offline Govan Fair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 March 12 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Moody (Glasgow, Ireland),MacDonald, MacCorquodale (North Uist, Glasgow) MacPherson (Glasgow, Skye)

Offline Govan Fair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 March 12 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
  The couples' fathers' names were Alexander Moody and John Heaney.

Regards
Thank you for this. I didn't get notification that a response had come in, so have only just picked this up.

I have the names for each of Alexander Moody and Phoebe Heaney's parents, I'd like to know a bit more about them and get a bit more information on all the family, but having no luck.
Appreciate you taking the trouble to supply this information and I hope that a visit to Belfast, planned for later this year, will resolve a few of the gaps.

Thanks again and of course, if you think you have anything else that would be help, I'd be glad to hear it.

Offline bubblylynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 May 24 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi. I'm a great great granddaughter of Alexander and Phoebe.
I wonder if you could tell me where you sourced information for them, as I had been searching without much luck
Thanks
  ;D

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 May 24 20:22 BST (UK) »

Hi. I'm a great great granddaughter of Alexander and Phoebe.
I wonder if you could tell me where you sourced information for them, as I had been searching without much luck
Thanks
  ;D

Govan Fair was active last year, so hopefully may come back to you.  Anyhow, for folk reading this topic, below is the civil record of marriage between Alexander Moody (father Alexander) and Phoebe Heaney (father John) in St. Patrick's RC Church, Belfast, on 13 July 1877.  While the groom's surname was transcribed as Mooney, his signature surname was transcribed as Moody. For what follows, note that his and her addresses were recorded as Gt Patrick St and New Lodge Road and that the two witnesses were Thomas Lambert and Eliza Jane Kennedy.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1877/11139/8079507.pdf

Further to that, I can see a transcript of a church record of what I believe to be that same marriage and it identifies each party's mother's forename, as well as the father's name.  I say 'believe', because there are inconsistencies with the civil record and I have not seen the original church record image, so it comes with a health warning about accuracy.  The transcript is for a marriage that is recorded as having taken place on 13 July 1887 (a typo?) in St. Patrick's RC Church, Belfast, between an Alexander Moody of Clarke's Lane and Phoebe Heaney of Pinkerton's Row.  The groom's parents were recorded as Alexander and Elizabeth Moody, the bride's parents as John and Anne Heaney.  The two witnesses were Thomas Lambert and Elizabeth J. Kennedy.

Next, look at the image (below) of a church record for a marriage that took place in St. Mary's RC Church, Belfast, the previous year (2 January 1876). It is for a marriage between William Moody of Govan, Glasgow and Margaret Harkin of Lettuce Hill (Belfast).  The respective parents were recorded as Alexander and Eliza Moody of Govan and John and Mary McCluskey?, dead. The witnesses were Thomas Lambert of Govan (it's not that common a name in this context, so the same one as above?) and Margaret Ellen McCann of Grattan St?

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633206#page/49/mode/1up (3rd record up from bottom)

Below is the civil record for the same marriage, the address for both parties was given as 14 Smithfield and the surname of the female witness was transcribed as McLarnon:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1876/11154/8086205.pdf

So possibly two brothers, William and Alexander Moody, both born around 1854, to parents Alexander and Elizabeth Moody. And another couple of nods to Govan in those records, so possibly more to follow up there.

I'll also throw this into the mix, it's a baptism in St. Mary's RC Church, Belfast, on 17 March 1871, of a Wm Patrick Moody, the record says that he was about 17 years old, the son of Alexander and Eliza Moody, the address was Smithfield Place, the sponsor was John Marley and over to the right of the record are the words 'Presbyterian adult':

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633205#page/67/mode/1up (3rd entry down from top)

Maybe the William who married Margaret Harkin?           

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 May 24 21:18 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering about the death of an Alexander Moody at 14 John Street, Govan, on 27 March 1905, the informant present at death was a son William Moody, who reported his age as 73 but didn't provide details for Alexander's parents, the record states that Alexander was the widower of (1st) Eliza McVicker and (2nd) Sarah Hayburn.

Following on from that, note the following church record of marriage between Alexander Moody and Sarah Heyburn of Ritchies Court, it took place on 21 September 1869 in St. Marys RC Church, Belfast, and the respective parents were recorded as Andrew & Frances Moody and James & Sarah Heyburn, all dead.  The witnesses were John Burns of Ritchies Court and Mary McClean? of James Street:

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633206#page/16/mode/1up (2nd entry up from bottom)   

Frustratingly. I can't yet find a corresponding civil record for that marriage.

I can also see transcripts of baptisms of a John Moody on 17 April 1846 in St. Anne's Church of Ireland Church for parents Alexander Moody and Eliza McVicker and William Moody in the same church for the same parents on 3 August 1852.

So if this Alexander Moody who died in Govan in 1905 is the right one, it's looking like he married Elizabeth McVicker pre 1846 (Protestant marriage), Elizabeth died by 1869 whereupon Alexander remarried, to Sarah Heyburn (Catholic Marriage).