Author Topic: Searching for family of ELISHA MANDER (1842-1913)  (Read 5222 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for family of ELISHA MANDER (1842-1913)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 November 11 02:11 GMT (UK) »
www.freereg.org.uk

HANNAH Fenns Baptism is on there 1812, Woverhampton, Staffordshire. (Father Joseph, Mother I will let you find for yourself from record)
Then go back to start page and enter, baptisms, Joseph Fenn 1811+/- 10 yrs, Staffordshire
It will show baptisms to a Father Joseph over that period.
Note them all to a Joseph/...
(you are lucky as some have Fathers Occp! and abode (address) and there seem to be 7 Children, 1 is a bit confusing as he has 2 dates of baptism though)

Then back to start once you know the 1st Childs baptism year and look for a Marriage, Joseph Fenn +/-2yrs.
Let me say they just made it to the Altar before Hannahs Birth!

Warning that sometimes on FreeREG you have to use the soundex option as names can be spelt slightly differently but not in the Fenns case.

Trish :)

BURIALS;
JOSEPH Fenn, 13 July 1837, St Peters, Wolverhampton, Staffs, Age 46
(Birth c 1791)
This is just a possible but looks OK. If Joseph died young Ann may have remarried.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 November 11 02:44 GMT (UK) »
YEP she did ;D

Check out Ann FENN/William BOYCOTT Marriage 09 Sept 1839 (Fathers name Matches Anns Marriage maiden name to Joseph Fenn)

1841 Census
Market Street,
Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
HO107/999/5/Wolverhampton
William BOYCOTT, 40, Moulder
ANN Boycott, 47
William Boycott, 17, Apprentice
Jane FENN, 19
Ann Fenn, 7
? Fenn, 6 (male) indexed as Magor! (I cant make it out though)
David Fenn, 23

** I think the Ann should be Mary Ann baptised 1834 to Joseph/Ann
Magor may be a Grand/child as no relaionships are shown.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline katiespitfire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 July 13 18:03 BST (UK) »
Was he a photographer? I have some carte de visite by an Elisha Mander, 29 Bull Street Birmingham.

Offline Paul Woolley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 December 15 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Elisha Mander was one of eight children. The eldest was Amelia who is my G.Grandmother.
Amelia married Alfred Woolley and their first son was born in 1861 and named Francis Elisha Mander Woolley.
I am guessing Amelia named Francis after another Elisha Mander and not her younger brother.
Francis is a bit of a mystery, he appears on the 1871 census and then no longer appears on census, marriage or death records.

In Alcester Parish Church is a memorial stone to Elisha's grandparents Francis & Sarah, it is on the left side as you go in.

[Francis Mander occupation butcher, died 19 September 1828 aged 52 after a long illness.
Sarah Mander died 4 July 1828 by awful accident aged 47.
Erected by Francis Mander, only son, Butcher.]

Sarah burnt to death, presumably her clothes caught fire.

The Warwick Advertiser November 1828 reports on a Mary Terrill being burned to death, her clothing caught fire while undressing and stated she is the second aged female in Alcester to have burnt to death in 4 months.

Offline owlpen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 February 22 16:28 GMT (UK) »
I have a lot of info on Elisha MANDER, photographic case maker and mfr. of frames and jewellers’ cases, photographer, etc., who was born in Heston, Warwicks., 10 May 1819 (bapt. Alcester Presbyt. Chapel, Warwicks., 25 Jul 1819). He had an eldest son named Elisha by his first wife, Catherine, a cousin also named Mander. I have somewhere this Elisha's contemporary memoir, giving details of his life and family story.
They connect back to my line of Blackwell, Tredington, in the C16.