Author Topic: Collingbourne Ducis Families ANNETTS  (Read 5661 times)

Offline MartinPom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Collingbourne Ducis Families ANNETTS
« on: Thursday 03 November 11 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm looking for info on the family and any other details of Charles ANNETTS -Blacksmith who lived in Collingbourne Ducis (or Kingston) between 1814 and 1891.
Thank you
Martin
POMEROY: Tavistock,Taunton,Langport; GAISFORD: Warminster, Keevil; HARRIS Stalbridge; ANNETTS Collingbourne;

Offline emarbe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Collingbourne Ducis Families ANNETTS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 November 11 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin

Have you got any census details or do you want them?

Mike
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MartinPom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 November 11 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mike
I do have a full set of Census Details. I was looking for further info perhaps contained in a book about Collingbourne Ducis.
Martin
POMEROY: Tavistock,Taunton,Langport; GAISFORD: Warminster, Keevil; HARRIS Stalbridge; ANNETTS Collingbourne;

Offline MartinPom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 November 11 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I've just discovered what prompted my question.
"Julianb" posted the fact that he had a copy of the book "Collingbourne Ducis Families" by Rev John Dryden Hodgson 1875-1896. I wondered whether there was any mention of my ANNETTS family in the book or in any other publication. As I stated previously I have a full set of Census Records for this family.
Martin

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 November 11 19:04 GMT (UK) »
The Rev John Dryden Hodgson's "book" does indeed mention some Annetts. 

Just a little context - he was rector at Collingbourne Ducis (CD) from 1875 to his death in 1896.  He seems to have built a picture of the families in the village during his 21 years as Rector.  So these aren't official records as such, but more his jottings.  They are pretty accurate though, from what I have been able to cross-check.

He records two Annetts families living in Sunton, which I believe is part of the Collingbourne Kingston (CK) parish:

George Annetts, a tailor, with wife, Jane, and sons James, William and Henry, daughter Elizabeth (who was servant to R G Wilson esq of Salisbury; and was confirmed in 1878), and son George Charles born 30 Dec 1868 [I assume the details on the last two children are recorded because George attended the CD church, even though they technically lived in CK.

Charles Annetts, blacksmith, with his wife whose maiden name was Towler.

There are other Annetts in CD, and I will deal with them in the next post.

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 November 11 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Other "Annetts" mentioned in the rector's notes:

Ann Annetts, daughter of William Annetts (a labourer from CK), married Charles Bruce CD 30 October 1858.  They lived on the Andover Road in CD, and had 13 children (all baptised CD)

Samuel Broad who married Jane Walker in 1883, is shown as base-born, with a stepfather Henry Annetts

[More to come from other sources]
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 November 11 19:41 GMT (UK) »
The other info comes from the "alternative" census.  It appears the CD enumerator kept an additional record in 1851 and 1861 and Wilts FHS have also published this (as well as the Rector's jottings).

The Annetts' families recorded in CD in 1851 were:

• Amy (74) and daughter Mary (36)
  • Jane (83) and sons Richard (41) and Joseph (39)
  • Stephen (49), wife Hannah, and eight children

• Stephen (49, wife Hannah, and eight children)

The Annetts' families recorded in CD in 1861 were:

• George (37, Tailor) Wife Jane, and three sons
  • Hannah (widow 41) and six children

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 November 11 20:37 GMT (UK) »
And finally, there's references to Annetts' in the book "Collingbourne Remembered - a village history", which is a coffee table book version of research one of the villagers (Pamela Cogdell) undertook .

Court Roll of the Manor of CD: Copyholders included Edward Annetts - the date 26 October 1695 is recorded (which I assume is the date from which the copyhold applied; other dates against names range from 1684 to 1734)

In 1845 James Annetts had a substantial allotment behind the cottages on the Ludgershall Road; Stephen Annetts had a cottage and garden on that same road.

Extracts from the title deeds for the Savernake Forest estate show :

26/3/1731  William Annetts of Collingbourne Sunton, husbandman

20/3/1732 John Annetts, of Collingbourne Sunton, husbandman

20/3/1732 Elizabeth Annetts of Collingbourne Sunton

The book has quite a bit of info from Cora Annetts (descended from George the tailor, I believe) and Reg Annetts who died in 1992.  The book also has the will of Edward Annatts, Yeoman of CD dated 7 September 1728, and an item on the old forge where James Annetts lived and worked in 1843.

(I assume you have access to the pre-1837 baptisms and burials in CD and CK?  For example that Charles Annetts was baptised in CD on 12 December 1813, son of James Tristian Annetts, blacksmith, and Ann Reeves?)

Hope all this is helpful

JULIAN

Offline MartinPom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 November 11 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Julian, for all that information on the ANNETTS famlies.

My gr grandmother was Sarah Ann ANNETTS, daughter of Charles ANNETTS and Elizabeth TOWLER. Charles' parents were James Tristian ANNETTS and Ann REEVES.

Do you have any specific information from the book (in addition to that which you have already posted) on these individuals?

Your information is of great interest to me as I have never been to CD.

Tahks again for your assistance
Martin
South Africa