Author Topic: Moses HARDING of Newton St Loe  (Read 7525 times)

Offline Aceh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moses HARDING of Newton St Loe
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 30 October 22 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Morning David,
Yes I'm still here. i have been trying to get a slot , on Wednesdays only, at the SOG temporary home on the Holloway Road (an area of London to which I have never previously had the pleasure), in order to access the LDS Film collection. The films are no longer available; all is now digitised - you probably already knew this.
I managed to get a slot last Wednesday and with the assistance of the new librarian, attempted to access parish registers images of Harding interest. This can only be done from an SOG computer, the SOG being an LDS associate library, other direct methods are locked. After 2 hours we had not achieved much. In ignorance I had not taken my Family Search login with me so the search had to be done using the SOG login by the librarian. I have seen an example screen of a Bishops transcript  from the early 1800s, one of many thousands as it appears that LDS can only offer 1538 - 1800 odd, but we haven't found a way of getting images between date A to date B or specific registers.
The librarian tried to contact Else Churchill the SOG Archivist for advice by email but with no success. I retreated as I had an appointment at the British Library in the afternoon
I need to apply for another slot, which has to be on a Wednesday of course. Hopefully both the SOG librarian and I will be a bit more knowlegible about how to use the LMS Catalogue as far as the digitised films are concerned.

On a more positive note, I have found on Find my Past, the transcription of the baptism of a John Harden at Box, (famous for Brunei and his tunnel), a village east of Bath, in Wiltshire:

John Harden, baptised 19 May 1700, Father William, Mother Mary; as part of the transcription there is a note "HARDEN in Reg: HARDING in BT".

A possible candidate for John Harden who married Ann Grist at Wellow? A bit old for a first marriage in 1730; a widower perhaps? Marital status not given.

CUL(L)MER: N, E + SE London 19 cent, E Kent pre 1830, New York post 1850, Vic Australia post 1850
JOHNSON: (dockers/ropemakers) Tower Hamlets pre WWII
OSBORN:(dyers, scourers & gloove cleaners) Hoxton, Islington, Clerkenwell pre 1900
KEWLEY: Bradford 1830-1913, IoM pre 1850
CANNELL: IoM pre 1820
FABB: Cambridge
COLE(S): Warks/Oxon border pre 1830
RILEY: (RC) Bishopsgate area pre 1800
HALE: Brighton pre 1850
KIPPS: E Kent pre 1750
HARDING: MEOT post 1850, Bath Area pre 1850
PARTINGTON Lancs