Author Topic: Moses HARDING of Newton St Loe  (Read 7531 times)

Offline Aceh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MOSES HARDING of Newton St Loe
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 November 11 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Morning David,

Many thanks for this, it bears out my own findings at the SOG. I suspect the answer lies in the parishes closely surrounding Newton St Loe; quite a job checking all those PRs! There is a finite possibility that Moses came from Bath which is where his descendants went before finally heading off to London in Victorian times, but I believe the movement would have been into the cities rather than out of them.
Thanks also for the link to freeREG, which I seem to have heard about but never pursued; it could be very useful.
CUL(L)MER: N, E + SE London 19 cent, E Kent pre 1830, New York post 1850, Vic Australia post 1850
JOHNSON: (dockers/ropemakers) Tower Hamlets pre WWII
OSBORN:(dyers, scourers & gloove cleaners) Hoxton, Islington, Clerkenwell pre 1900
KEWLEY: Bradford 1830-1913, IoM pre 1850
CANNELL: IoM pre 1820
FABB: Cambridge
COLE(S): Warks/Oxon border pre 1830
RILEY: (RC) Bishopsgate area pre 1800
HALE: Brighton pre 1850
KIPPS: E Kent pre 1750
HARDING: MEOT post 1850, Bath Area pre 1850
PARTINGTON Lancs

Offline Totnor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Moses HARDING of Newton St Loe
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 February 12 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Try Corston, Twerton, Stanton Prior, Saltford and Marksbury. They all surround Newton St Loe.

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 07:55 GMT (UK) »
If you come across a spare George Harding c.1771 I'd be grateful to check him out although the name seems to have started as Harden. Have been searching for birthplace of George for many years to no avail. Died before birthplace put on census but born in County. He married 1803 in Stawell, Somerset.
Common names in family:- George, Charles, William, John - names of his sons, no daughters.
Syljun

Offline Aceh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Syljun,

Just back from overseas and found your post.

There's a George Harding bap18/10/1761 Newton St Loe, near Bath, son of Ormond Harding, bur 6/8/1764 Newton St Loe & his wife Sarah Sparkes, who were married at Newton St Loe on 1/8/1756.

Siblings of George were Ann bap 2/3/1758 Newton St Loe and Ormond Jr bap 11/8/1759 & bur 6/8/1767 both at Newton St Loe.

Hope this is of interest; I can't prove a link from this family to my Moses Harding.
CUL(L)MER: N, E + SE London 19 cent, E Kent pre 1830, New York post 1850, Vic Australia post 1850
OSBORN:(dyers, scourers & gloove cleaners) Hoxton, Islington, Clerkenwell pre 1900
PARTINGTON Lancs

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 07:41 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Aceh, Thanks for getting back to me with info. on George Harding. Will investigate for any link to my Harding family.
Regards,
Syljun

Offline davidcrellin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 August 22 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am researching the descendants and family of John Wood Architect of Bath. It is possible that Moses' mother was Ann Wood his sister. I would be keen to understand how you are related to Ann.

For clarity of a few points on your research. The marriage to Mary Battle was at Keynsham, not Newton St Loe. His death records his age hence the birth year people have identified.
The reason that his baptism is not findable is that the register for Newton St Loe is missing for years 1720-1760.

Intriguingly Ann and John Harding were subject of a removal order to Twerton in 1738 and both their children were alive on that date (so born before.
Best wishes
David

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 August 22 15:42 BST (UK) »
The register covering 1720-1760 certainly does exist. It is at the SHC, reference D/P/new.s.l  2/1/2. It includes baptisms 1720-1804 and has no obvious gaps. For some reason Ancestry do not have it. (The register they do have for 1760- (ref 2/1/9) is an alternative, unofficial register. It can be very useful in that it sometimes includes more details than the official register, especially after 1812.)

https://somerset-cat.swheritage.org.uk/records/D/P/new.s.l/2/1

As I appear to have said 11 years ago, FreeREG covers this period for NSL and most surrounding parishes. FindMyPast has also indexed the relevant register.

They both show John and Ann Harding baptising a daughter Jane on 26 Jan 1738/9 and several more children later, but none before. The removal order is interesting. It shows john and Ann with children Ormond, Moses and John and so gives a link between Moses and the Ormond in Aceh's last post. Presumably the order was either not enforced or they came back to NSL later.

David

David

Offline Aceh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 17:55 BST (UK) »
It's a good number of years since I've used Rootschat, but then out of the blue your post popped up in my in-box!

Having dug out my HARDING family tree which i have not looked at since i know not when, I also noticed my Moses Harding born abt 1732 Newton St Loe, from DRH123 above is being directly associated with a Jane and an Ormond. Now, on my tree I had 3 or 4 groups of Hardings of what appears to be the same generation separated by a series of "?"s, the total number of children being 9. The 1st group was my line to Moses; the 2nd group had Jane, who died in infancy and a subsequent Jane and the 3rd group had Ormond. These groups now appear to represent a single group of children of John Harding and Ann.

So i went into FindMyPast and plugged in Parish Marriages 1715 +/- 20 and up came:

Boyds Marriage Index, Bath and Wells Diocese Marriage Licence for John Harding and Anne NOWES in 1714. This may not be Ann WOOD, but hand-writing being what it was, this may be a misreading of the licence. The marriage licence is archived at the SOG. This was the only hit.

FindMyPast also had a typescript of the Licence confirming the bride's name to be NOWES and the groom to be a Barber by trade.

Aceh
PARTINGTON Lancs

Offline Aceh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 September 22 12:38 BST (UK) »
Further to my amended post above I have looked again at the DOBs of the children of John Harding and Ann. The 1714 John Harding - Anne Nowes Marriage Licence records that the bride was already 30 years old. Moses, presumed to be the eldest son, born c 1732 would mean that if Anne Nowes was his mother she would already have been around 48 years old. 6 confinements later, at the birth of Ormond, whose DOB I do not have, she would have been around 60 years old, including one set of twins. Does this seem likely?
I've checked Somerset and Wiltshire for other suitable marriages for a John Harding and Ann but without success. Is this the end of the road?

Aceh
PARTINGTON Lancs