Author Topic: Thomas JACKSON and Charlotte C. ?????  (Read 8725 times)

Offline cailean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas JACKSON and Charlotte C. ?????
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 05 November 06 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for the extra information.
Regards, Colin

Offline Mike E

• Email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 30 November 06 21:06 GMT (UK) »
I have this family line back to Charlotte Clark Howe who firstly married Edward Liddell and in 1867 she married Thomas Jackson.  Have lots of information - happy to share.  regards John

Colin -

I have located the marriage reference for Thomas Jackson and Charlotte Clark Howe -
St Helier Parish Church,  28 March, 1867 -

Thomas Jackson, 22, bachelor, Private 69 Regiment, residing St Helier, born Harlston, Leics; father William Jackson, labourer
and
Charlotte Clark Howe, 23,  widow of Edward Liddell, residing St Helier, born St Helier; father George Howe, engineer.

The birth certificate reference for Thomas Jackson is in the Registrars index 1.8.1842 - 30.9.1843, page 79.

I did not locate the birth reference for Charlotte C Howe, but noticed a probable sibling in the St Helier Parish Church baptisms -

HOWE George Charles,  b.2.8.1841 bapt. 26.9.1841
son of George Howe, joiner, and Mary Le Moignan.

I don't know if you had this information, but hope it helps.   Let me know if you need any more look-ups in Jersey archives.

Mike

Entwistle (Bolton and Edgworth)
Cook(e) (Manchester and Warwicks)
Whitaker (Lancs and Cumberland)
McMillen and Palmer (Co Down)
Hyde and Oakley (Staffs)
Lovet, Edwards and Clark (Salop)
Ratcliffe, Walker and Ruffley (Lancs)
Sainsbury (Gloucs, Cornwall and Yorks)
Laundry (Cornwall)
Waterhouse and Haigh (Yorks)
Bird, Rendel / Rendle, Bull, Stoodley, Shoemake / Shoemark, Groves, Baker, Hallett, Burford, Gaylard, Mounter, Highmore (Somerset)
Barber, Brown (Cheshire)
Waterfield (Derby)

Offline cailean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 30 November 06 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,
Thank you very much for providing this information. Most kind of you. Since I wrote the inquiry to which you responded on Roots Chat, I have been contacted by John Colam whose wife shares with me a common ancestor, specifically a great grandmother who was Charlotte Clarke Howe. It now appears that Charlotte Clarke Howe was married twice, both times in St Helier. Firstly in her late teens to an older man, Private Edward Liddell with whom she had a son, Charles Edward Liddell. Sadly, Edward Liddell died within a year or so of marrying (possibly en route back from India as he was invalided out of the army). Charlotte then married a man about three years her junior, my great grandfather, Private Thomas Jackson. Shortly after the marriage the family were posted to Ireland for a few months and from there they travelled on the Royal Navy troopship HMS Serapis, captained by John Clark Soady R.N., to Canada where Thomas Jackson served in the Lincolnshire Regiment possibly for a few years. The family were living in Lenton, a suburb of Nottingham by the time of the 1881 census and Thomas was no longer a soldier. John Colam has obtained a copy of the Ship's Log showing that Charlotte, Private Thomas Jackson's wife, gave birth, on board, to a female child (my grandmother) about 9 hours after the ship set sail at 4.10 pm on 19th August 1867 and that this child was baptized Charlotte Serapis Soady Jackson three days later when the ship was mid-Atlantic.
I am gradually building this information into my own amateur website : www.mealsgate.tk  see Nottingham links and Channel Island Links - if interested.

John Colam's wife, Gillian, is directly descended from Charles Edward Liddell who was Charlotte Serapis Soady Jackson's half brother. Last week I located the grave of Charles Edward Liddell and, as recently as yesterday, I found the burial record of his mother, Charlotte Clarke Jackson, formerly Liddell nee Howe. We are now hoping to locate her grave. She died aged just 38 and was buried on 27th December 1882 in Trinity Churchyard in Lenton Nottingham.
What is really mind-boggling is that John Colam has managed to trace some ancestral lines of Charlotte Clark Howe back in Jersey to 1478..... I think that represents going back 16 generations or thereabouts! This was possible, I suppose, because the family stayed put in Jersey ... in fact most were in the same Parish! Anyway, there's even a Le Bastard in there somewhere which, I understand, was the family name of the Duke of Normandy.... so who knows, could be related to William the Conqueror!! The other spooky thing is that my wife's late mother came from Guernsey so my wife has many relatives on Guernsey. Until John Colam identified Charlotte Clarke Howe as definitely coming from St Helier, I had no idea that I myself had Channel Islanders as ancestors.

Offline Boyell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 19 March 22 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin,

Just a very short note as your original message is a few years old - I am doing some research for a granddaughter of Charlotte SS Jackson's daughter (Elizabeth Ellen). Are you still researching?

Regards,
Phil.