Author Topic: Dugdale, Edward B c 1819 IOM  (Read 2589 times)

Offline MissM

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Dugdale, Edward B c 1819 IOM
« on: Sunday 08 May 05 17:35 BST (UK) »
I have checked with the posts Bagpuss left, but it doesn't look like our Dugdales are connected   :(

I have managed to track Edward Dugdale back through to the 1861 census when he was living in Liverpool but would love to know more about his family in IOM.

He was born circa 1819, he eventually married Mary b 1826, and his occupation in 1861 was Forge Labourer, but that's all I have.

If anyone can help with a place name or birth record, I'd appreciate it very much.

Many thanks!  :)

Lynne
MONEYPENNY (Liverpool/N Ireland/Scotland)
CRETNEY (Isle of Man)
KIDD (N Ireland)
DAVIES ( Denbighshire, N Wales)
ROBERTS (Liverpool)
WHITE (Liverpool)
Local History website - www.spekeliverpool.co.uk

Offline rcorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dugdale, Edward B c 1819 IOM
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 May 05 04:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

The only christening record I can find on the IGI for an Edward Dugdale on the IOM is:

26 APR 1812, Saint George, Douglas, Isle Of Man
Father:  WM DUGDALE
Mother:  MARGARET KEWLEY 

IGI has Wm and Margaret marriage as:

4 JUN 1799, Braddan, Isle of Man

NOTE: this record is not attached to an batch no for a parish register so it is not entirely authoritative - many entries indexed from the parish registers for the IOM were replaced by patron submitted entries (!!!!!) so you now have to check the microfilm to confirm (see
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyIsle_Of_Man.htm
 to find out which LDS film to request and for more details on the problems with IOM batch nos).  The most additional information the microfilm will give you (other than confirmation that the marriage entry is correct) is that it might say which parishes they were from which might then help trace them back further.

Their children (again from IGI but all from batch no for Douglas, St George so fairly reliable):

WM DUGDALE  Christening: 24 MAR 1805 Saint George, Douglas
LATICIA MARGARET DUGDAL Christening: 01 JAN 1817 Saint George, Douglas
JANE DUGDALE Christening: 05 OCT 1800 Saint George, Douglas
RICHD DUGDALE Christening: 16 SEP 1810 Saint George, Douglas
EDWARD DUGDALE Christening: 26 APR 1812 Saint George, Douglas
HENRY DUGDALE Christening: 14 MAY 1807 Saint George, Douglas
ELIZABETH DUGDALE Christening: 17 APR 1814 Saint George, Douglas
JOHN JOSEPH DUGDALE Christening: 02 JAN 1803 Saint George, Douglas

None of them seem to be on the island by the time of the 1861 census but you might try to see if you can find any of them in 1941/1851.  Brian Lawson (www.lawsons.ca) will do census index searches for individuals on IOM.  Lawsons site also has a burial and wills index which might be useful.

IOM parish registers are mostly indexed on the IGI (up to 1883) so I would hop on there and see if you can find marriages/offspring for any of the above Dugdales.

Good luck,
Ruth
Bouncing emails

England: Green, Povey, Bedford, Bridgland, Catlin, Patton
Scotland: Fraser, Kennedy, Kelly, Hean, Higgins
Isle of Man: Corris, Faragher, Corkill, Shimmin

Offline MissM

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Dugdale, Edward B c 1819 IOM
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 May 05 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Ruth,

thank you for all your hard work!  Sadly I don't think this is my Edward, but I'm going to follow the links you've given me and see what else I can find.

Thanks again, much appreciated,
Lynne
MONEYPENNY (Liverpool/N Ireland/Scotland)
CRETNEY (Isle of Man)
KIDD (N Ireland)
DAVIES ( Denbighshire, N Wales)
ROBERTS (Liverpool)
WHITE (Liverpool)
Local History website - www.spekeliverpool.co.uk