Author Topic: Quail of Downpatrick  (Read 2288 times)

Offline throckenholt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Quail of Downpatrick
« on: Saturday 05 November 11 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to track down James Quail born approx 1776 in Downpatrick.  He ended up in Manchester as a weaver, via a stint in the army and a posting to the West Indies.  I have no information about his parents or siblings.

My James married a Margaret (presumably soon after he left the army), and had a daughter Mary Ann in 1796/7 at Porta Down (from census records).

Whilst googling I have found mention of a William Quail (1754-1837) of Downpatrick who finally emigrated to USA in 1811.  He apparently had a bunch of children including James.  I am wondering if this might be my James's family given it the right sort of date.

I also found a burial of a John Quail of Downpatrick age 76 in 1785.

Another one suggests 3 brothers and a sister born in Downpatrick :
Edward Quaile (bapt 1777), Robert Orr Quaile, Vere Essex Qualie and Sophia (born 1785)

Any info gratefully received :)

Julie

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Quail of Downpatrick
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 November 11 10:09 GMT (UK) »
There's a load of Quail (and variant) entries on Ros Davies Co. Down site. There's a reference to it being of Manx origin:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/
Elwyn

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 November 11 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Quail and Quaile family trees etc appear in Blackwood Family history manuscript trees in the LinenHall library, Belfast. Best if you visit yourself if possible,giving them time to have the volumes available,  alternatively I suggest you ask them for photocopying estimates if they think your knowledge relevant and be prepared to pay the extra for post and packing. However if the material is really relevant when you get it, I suggest a further donation to this unique library that is always needing extra funds. Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, Telephone: +44 (0)28 9032 1707,  Fax: +44 (0)28 9043 8586, Email:info[at]linenhall.com.
The volume references are
QUAIL      16p126, 16p150, 24p88 Downpatrick
QUAILE   24p22 Magheralaggan
   Hoping this is includes new information for you
   good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 November 11 12:06 GMT (UK) »
William McIlheron married Ann Quail 1 dec 1848  at Saul and Ballee R.C. Church, County Down and their second son was named James. They emigrated to Workington, Cumberland. In the 1881 census they appear to have a James McIlheron, son aged 20 and brother, aged 22. I wondered if he should have been a Quail, but also in 1881 James and Ellen Breen have a James Wail living with them age 45. Ellen was William and Ann's daughter, so perhaps Wail should be Quail. There are some other Quails about in Workington, but I don't know if they were related. claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline djm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 March 23 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Just getting back to this branch of my family as James Quail is a direct ancestor. I am currently working through his extensive family in the Ancoats area of Manchester. Not really much to add going back from James but he appears to have had a busy life.

Dave
Mott/Manary/Quail in Manchester/Salford
Scotland/Duncan in Falkirk/Beath/Kinross

Offline klucente

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 December 23 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello, cousins!
I'm a descendant of William Quail, who came to Pennsylvania, USA in 1811. I had the good fortune to visit his former home, Quail Acres in Washington County. My mother, Sue Quail, who is no longer with us, was very proud of her Irish roots. I am planning a trip to Downpatrick on my first trip to Ireland this summer, and would appreciate advice and ideas for my research and exploration. I look forward to visiting the library in Belfast. Thank you for the idea, BallyaltikilliganG. Thank you, as well, Julie, for revealing to me that my daughter, Sophia, has a family name!
Kathy, North Carolina, USA