Author Topic: The Callaghan family  (Read 7154 times)

Offline joby1956

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Callaghan family
« on: Saturday 05 November 11 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I have a Matthew Callaghan born abt 1851 in Ireland, possibly Sligo. His wife goes under various names Margaret/ Maggie/ Mary. Sometime before the English 1881 Census they move to Sheffield, South Yorkshire living at No 1 Court 8 Rhodes Street. Matthew is working as a General Labourer. At 1881 they have 2 sons Peter aged 3 born Ireland (later census records state born Sheffield) and Hugh aged 1 born Sheffield. Also living ith them are 2 Boarders - Patrick Callaghan, aged 22 years and Mark Dufey, aged 26 years. I am struggling to locate the correct family prior to 1881, can anyone help please?
Many thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: The Callaghan family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 November 11 14:00 GMT (UK) »
It might be a good idea to try to find out a bit more details about Matthew and Margaret first - maybe a birth cert for the son Hugh born Sheffield to see if you can establish Margaret's maiden name ?

Once have this you could maybe try searching for births for the Irish born children and also a marriage for then, which would give you father's names for Matthew & Maggie.

Do you have some specific clues that point to Co. Sligo ?

see :

Introduction to Irish Records
  My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline joby1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 November 11 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for your reply. The possible link to Sligo is an Ancestry birth entry for a Peter Callaghan, born 21/05/1878 Meelroe, Sligo, Ireland. Fathers name Matthew. Mothers name Margaret Toolan Callaghan. At this time I have not found a birth in Sheffield and have not found an alternative birth entry with the correct parent names.
Slim I know!!
Many thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 November 11 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Callaghan is quite a common surname, so I'd look for some additional clues..

The set of extracted records on Ancestry which includes that births originate on the FamilySearch website and is not complete, so there could be other possibilities not shown on a search - it does cover many births between 1864 and about 1880.

see : Peter Callaghan birth

Have you found any of the family on the later census returns ?
The 1911 often includes more detailed place of birth..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 November 11 15:46 GMT (UK) »
If those turns out to be the correct parents then there's a possible marriage on the Irish BMD Index. It took place the year before that birth you mentioned and in the district of Boyle which covers parts of counties Roscommon and Sligo.  The 1878 Peter Callaghan birth was in the same district. I wonder if the Meelroe mentioned on the birth might refer to the townland of Mweelroe, which is in this district and located about 10km west of the town of Boyle.

Name: Margaret Toolan
  Registration district:   Boyle
  Event type: Marriage
  Year: 1877
  Volume: 4 / Page: 79

Name: Mathew Callaghan
  [same index references as Margaret]

I think the later census returns are definitely worth following up. (Note lookups of the 1911 English census are not permitted on RootsChat, but some information can be worked out using the free index)

There are no later children listed that I can find for this couple on the extracted Irish birth collection.

see :

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
  Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline joby1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 November 11 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi again
The 1911 states they were married for 34 years which would fit in with the marriage found. It also states Ireland Sligo Resident. I think it a very likely candidate but perhaps as you suggested to obtain Hugh's birth certificate to be sure. Unforunately that also is being a bit elusive at the moment.
Many thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 November 11 16:40 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 sounds like a good match, knowing a county for Matthew & Margaret narrows down the area, and the possibilities, quite a bit. I think very likely to be your Callaghans

I tried to have a look for possible births for Hugh, but FreeBMD seems very slow at the moment ...

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 November 11 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Interesting result from Griffith's Valuation for the townland of Mweelroe - a couple of Callaghan households and also a couple of Toulans. The date for this part of the valuation is 1858

Griffith's Valuation Mweelrow, Co. Sligo

Click the 'occupants' icon, and the view the valuation image using one of the 'page details' icond. (some of the details for the townland continue on the next page) The townland is 231 acres.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline joby1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 November 11 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello again
Thank you for the Valuation records, please forgive my ignorance but would these people be farmers?
Number 1 gives 5 members of the family with land, house and office - Lord de Freyne.
No 2 states John Callaghan - Lord de Freyne
                    Mary Salmon - John Callaghan - why not Lord de Freyne?
Not being very familiar with what records are available from Ireland, could you perhaps suggest where else I may look.
Thank you, I really do appreciate your time