Author Topic: The Callaghan family  (Read 7155 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: The Callaghan family
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 November 11 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Griffith's Valuation was carried out for taxation purposes between about 1847 and 1864, and includes most property holders, and would include farmers, labourers, gentry and many others.

The second column on the valuation page indicates the occupier of the buildings and/or land and the next column is the name of the person they leased the property from. Other columns show the type of buildings, if any, acreage of land and valuation details.

Many of the people mentioned in the 3rd column (captioned 'Immediate Lessor') were actually middle-men and in turn leased the property from a larger land holder. Few ordinary people actually owned their property.

There are several pages of notes on Griffith's valuation written by John Grenham on the AskAboutIreland website that are worth reading through. see  : What is Griffth's Valuation ?

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 November 11 19:38 GMT (UK) »
My reading of the Callaghan & Toulan entries on the Mweelroe valuation would be

map reference 1, land of about 55 acres shared by Peter, Matthew, Patrick, Thomas and John Callaghan who all lease land, houses (a to e), and offices from Lord De Freyna

John Callaghan holds a separate 4 acres of land (site 2) and also sublets a small portion (site 2a - 1 rod 2 perches) to a Mary Salmon

John Toulan occupies 8 acres (map ref 5a) and house and office - also from Lord De Freyna

Peter Toulan shares site 6 of about 39 acres with 4 other people, and also holds a house and offices.  Lord De Freyna is also the immediate lessor of this property.

(offices in this context mean outbuildings - sheds, workshops, farm buildings etc)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline joby1956

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 November 11 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane
Thank you so much for your explanation and time spent on this topic, much appreciated. This forum is marvellous!!
Lynne

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lynne,

there is a Hubert Callaghan registered 1880 Sheffield and a death 1950 for Hubert born abt 1879.
I can't see him in censuses. Do you have details of Hugh's death registration?

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joby1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi heywood
I have Hugh on the 1881 Census living at No 1 Court 8 Rhodes Street, Sheffield
In 1891 living at 11 School Lane, Sheffield Park.
1901 I have him still at School Lane (still with parents)
1911 he is living at 18 Weigh Lane, Sheffield Park and is married with 3 children.
I have noted a potential Army WW1 Service record for 1915, giving the address as Tricket Inn Road (actually Cricket Inn Road)
I have no death registration details at the moment but your "find" does look promising I think.
Regards
Lynne

Offline M457132

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 December 23 12:19 GMT (UK) »
I realize this is an old topic but I came about it via a search and may be relavent. The Patrick Callaghan age 22 mentioned on the 1881 census is the topic of my question.  I am looking to hopefully find additional family information.

My Patrick Callaghan immigrated to the United States in 1885 from Sheffield out of Liverpool. I know his wife was on the Gallia in June 1985 with their son Peter and daughter May was born at sea even though no record of Patrick on that ship but he could have possibly came early as there was a Pat Callaghan in March 1885 out of Liverpool as well.

Patrick's death certificate lists the date of birth as March 9, 1862 from County Sligo. Although census files from the US indicate the date of birth could be as early as 1860. His parents are listed as Patrick Callaghan and Ann Kilmartin.  He married Mary Cairns in Sheffield on 1883.

I cannot specifically link the 1881 census it is highly likely it is him.  His son Peter's baptism does list a Matthew Callaghan as the godfather.  Then an addional link may be the 1891 census for Matthew that includes a Thomas Kilmartin as an "Other relative", possibly a cousin based on Mary Kilmartin as mother.

Is there a way to locate any records for the parents Patrick & Mary Kilmartin from Sligo?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Callaghan familyuntil 1864.4r
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 December 23 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
You will need to find parish records for a baptism as civil registration did not begin until 1864.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 December 23 19:20 GMT (UK) »
I clicked too early.
I confess I hadn’t read the whole thread so some of this might be repetition.

1881 4655 /28/50
Sheffield

Patrick Callaghan 22 yrs is a boarder in the household of Matthew and Margaret Callaghan.
Looking at the children's births, Peter 3 yrs is born Ireland and Hugh 1 yr b Sheffield.
There is a birth (mentioned earlier in this thread) of Hubert, 1880, Sheffield with mmn Toolan.

There is this birth for Peter, son of Matthew C and Margaret Toolan.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1878/02960/2084375.pdf

Marriage of that couple 1877 but his father is Peter Callaghan deceased.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1877/11128/8074440.pdf