Author Topic: Bowhouse Dunblane  (Read 8442 times)

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bowhouse Dunblane
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

You may find some information here

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/historical-tax-rolls/farm-horse-tax-rolls-1797-1798/farm-horse-tax-1797-1798-volume-11

I also did a search on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  on the wills and testaments search criteria leave all fields blank except description (title/occupation/place) in this field type kilbryde and search Dunblane commissary court it gives you all the wills for this area.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Boab3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 15:59 BST (UK) »
Thankyou BruceL for your prompt reply and two good tips. There on the farm horse tax rolls were Grangetown and Bows along with names and other farms which I recognized. That gives me proof as to where they were in 1797-1798.  Trying to find the origins of these Drummonds has been like wading through treacle. I strongly suspect that all roads are going to lead to Glenlednock. 
Boab3

Offline Jodinichol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 October 15 05:23 GMT (UK) »
I am new to this, but have been researching my Drummond line. My GGGGG grandmother Cathrine Drummond is shown as being born to Colin Drummond in Bowhouse of Kilbryde in 1751. I have not been able to find any further information about this line. Is there any additional information you might have?

Offline Boab3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 October 15 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jodinichol: The children born to Colline (Colin) Drummond and Jean Fisher are:

Cathrine      b/c  15/1/1751 Bowhouse of Kilbride (your tree)
Alexander & Isabel (twins)   b/c 31/1/1753 Bowhouse of Klbryde
John           b/c 11/6/1756 Bows of Kilbride (my tree)
Unnamed male newborn  b/c 19/4/1759 Bows of Kilbride (witnesses James Drummond & David Gow)
Colin  b/c 23/11/1766 Bows of Kilbryde

Do you have further information on Cathrine that you could share?

I haven't looked at the Drummonds for a wee while but I'd be happy to share any information I have.

Boab3

Offline Jodinichol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 November 15 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Boab3 for the information.  :)  I am not sure how much information you would like me to share about Cathrine. She married James Taylor 20 Aug 1772 in Muthill and had 4 children: John 3 Sep 1773, Robert (my line) 13 Oct 1775, Isabel 4 Jul 1778, and Elizabeth 26 May 1781.
Robert Taylor married Christian Comrie 06 Apr 1794 in Muthill. I can give you more information if you would like.

In looking at Colinne, I found that he was born in Garrichrew in Comrie (northwest corner of this map):http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/maps/series?xCenter=3166423.1188&yCenter=3350345.24991&scale=63360&viewScale=22677.1776&mapLayer=nineteenth&subLayer=first_edition&title=Ordnance%20Survey%20and%20Ordnance%20Survey%20of%20Scotland%20First%20Series&download=true His parents were James Drummond and Jannet Mcnaughtan, and Colinne had a sister, also born in Garrichrew, named Jannet (21 Nov 1725). Does this sound correct to you? Do you have anything to add? I can also share more images if you would like. (I live within walking distance to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and can access lots of really neat images)

Thank you for your time!  Jodi

Offline Boab3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 November 15 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes - James Drummond and Janet McNaughton. You'll probably have the following information - The Act of Privy Council in 1603 made it illegal to use the McGregor name and forced the members of the clan to take an alias. Usually they took the name of a local Laird who guaranteed their behaviour to the Courts under threat of severe penalties if they couldn't control their charges. The tenants were expected to fight under the Laird's banner whether they agreed with the cause or not. Colline Drummond was indeed born in Garrichruie which was on the Earl of Perth's (James Drummond) estate. There were 13 families in Garrichruie - Duncan McNaughton, Hugh Drummond, Duncan Neish (married to Eliz Drummond), John Comrie, Duncan Drummond, Patrick Forbes, James McNaughton, Wm Riddoch and John McNaughton + 4 cottars. Duncan Drummond was the main leaseholder of Garrichruie.  When the Earl of Perth's estates were forfeited several farms formerly possessed by many tenants were given to one person so the tenants were forced to move on. There seems to be a link with the Campbell's somewhere along the line whether it was through marriage or whether they were 'bonded'  at one time to Sir Colin Campbell who owned Aberuchill Castle (Glenlednock) and the Kilbryde Estate (Dunblane). Kilbryde is where Colline Drummond moved to.  So I suspect our Drummonds were formerly McGregors. I may be wrong Jodi. I'm not a professional genealogist and I stand to be corrected. I haven't been able to visit the archives at Perth or gain access to Kilbryde estate papers. Perhaps that's where the answers are ???

Boab