Author Topic: George Hartley, Onchan 1872 ish  (Read 3466 times)

Offline mayjon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Hartley, Onchan 1872 ish
« on: Sunday 06 November 11 18:34 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandfather arrived in Onchan about 1872 and  had the following addresses:
1881 census:  Shell Cottage
1891  41 Village Road

other addresses include:
1891   67 Primrose Avenue
1901   1 Hildersley Road

I can't find any of these streets in Onchan - can anyone help?

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Hartley, Onchan 1872 ish
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 November 11 19:22 GMT (UK) »
It seems 1881 most of the houses were known by a name - the house George was in was called "Shell Cottage" -often at that time villages didn't have street names . If you follow the enumerater's walk you will notice addresses 3, 2 & 1 Atoll House , then Shell Cottage, followed by Venntor House and then the Queens Hotel.

So if you can locate the Queens Hotel at that time -Shell Cottage will be pretty close to it.

In 1891 George is not at No 41 Village Rd- no 41 is in a different column and refers to the Schedule number-which is not the house number. None of the houses have numbers -the address is just Village Rd - this could have been an official name for the Road at that time -or it could just be a reference to "the  main road through the village"-which could have been changed in later years (often the main thoroughfare of a village was given the name High Rd/St/ main St -or suchlike)

If you put "Primrose Avenue Onchan " into a search engine you should get a few hits.
I found a house for sale in Primrose Avenue

I found Hildersley Rd metioned in a 1960's athletic club programme - it was classed as being in Douglas -maybe the boundary changed over the years

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mayjon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 November 11 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suz

Many thank for your speedy help - I'll investigate tomorrow!

Mayjon

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 November 11 23:44 GMT (UK) »
I have just re read my post and have edited it

Please accept my apologies for terrible spelling - as the letters have worn off my keyboard I am trying (without much success) to touch type!!!!

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 18:30 GMT (UK) »
for those unaware of the civil/ecclesiastical parishes on the Island may I point out that Douglas was in the Civil Parish of Conchan (later name Onchan) whereas most is in Ecclesiastical parish of Braddan.
Post 1896 Douglas became a Borough and thus was indexed separately tho part of North Douglas was in Onchan (a much smaller part on the south side of harbour was in Braddan.
Hildesley rd is just off Bray hill (the descent immediately after the start of the TT)  and is in North Douglas

Primrose Av is also in N douglas off alexander drive about 500m south of Hildesley rd
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline mayjon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Frances

Many thanks - I've now found my great -grandfathers house (power of Google map!) in Hildersley Rd.  Less luck with Primrose Ave

I'm looking for 67, but the Avenue is too short.  We'll have to check the census again.

Mayjon