Author Topic: Caersalem Independent Chapel cemetery in Pontyberem  (Read 3187 times)

Offline desh38

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Caersalem Independent Chapel cemetery in Pontyberem
« on: Sunday 06 November 11 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
 Seen the following today in the Carmarthen Journal dated 26th Oct 2011

THE families of people buried in a Gwendraeth Valley cemetery are being urged to get in touch with church authorities.

Grave-testing work has been carried out at Caersalem Independent Chapel cemetery in Pontyberem.

"We have done all we can to find the owners and if they cannot be found the chapel will have to decide what to do with the unsafe headstones," said a chapel spokeswoman.

"If families do not contact the cemetery secretary by December 31, then the work will have to start soon to pull them down and lay them flat, inscription face upwards. We are not going to please everyone but we feel we've gone above and beyond what we have to do."

The headstones in the main cemetery were tested during the spring.

Families are now being urged to contact cemetery secretary Howard Jones on 01269 841345.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Caersalem Independent Chapel cemetery in Pontyberem
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello desh38  :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

Thank you for bringing this notice to the attention of people with Carmarthenshire ancestors. Unfortunately this happens a lot today due to health and safety concerns. I have seen many cemeteries with yellow tape tied around memorials and other memorials laid flat.

Many of us do not know where our ancestors are buried so it is likely that the Church will need to attend to some of the gravestones.  :(

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline mamgumorg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Caersalem Independent Chapel cemetery in Pontyberem
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 April 12 16:18 BST (UK) »
I have relatives buried in Caersalem cemetry.I had my parents headstone "done" last year.I had notification that my maternal grandparents headstone needed restoration,but unfortunally I could not afford to have this done,the headstone is still as it was.My paternal grandparents headstone also needed attention,luckily this was paid for by my cousins as it was their grandparents also.I wonder if this was a ploy by the stonemasons to earn some extra money!

I am new to this site and this is my first posting.

mamgumorg