Author Topic: Lydia Vick(?)/Quirk(?)  (Read 3287 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lydia Vick(?)/Quirk(?)
« on: Wednesday 09 November 11 00:25 GMT (UK) »
In the 1891 census  -   RG12/3269/64  - Manchester

A Lydia Vick(?)/Quirk(?),single,21,mantle saleswoman,from the Isle of Man,is described as "cousin" in the household of

David Rayment Jones,45,draper,born Abergele North Wales and his wife
Adelaide Jones, born Sligo Ireland(Sligo does not appear in other cenus data)
Adelaide's maiden name was Ferrell or Farrell,but I cannot find any record of a marriage or her family origins.

Can anybody shed any light on the origins of the relationship between Lydia Vick(?) and this family?

Roger

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Lydia Vick(?)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for Lydia in the 1871/1881 census which will show her parentage?

It would be impossible to find a connection to a cousin without knowing who her parents were
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lydia Vick(?)
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 11:05 GMT (UK) »
I have looked but failed to find a reasonable candidate.The other possibility is that the name is Quirk(the handwriting on th original is a little florid).This may lead to a slightly nearer candidate but no obvious connections outside Isle of Man.I have modified the thread title accordingly.
There are a small number of Quirk/Farrell marriages in the Liverpool area which I am trying to pursue.I believe that David Jones met Adelaide Mary Farrell(of Ferrell) at a drapers in Liverpool,but she is only identified as Miss Farrell in the 1871 census.
Do you know if "cousin" has any other interpretation than the current one in early census data?
Thanks for your interest
Roger

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lydia Vick(?)/Quirk(?)
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 12:53 GMT (UK) »
VICK    is     a    surname   here[not  common]   i   suspect  it   may  have  arrived  with   a  Cornish  miner   to  Foxdale  village  &

its   Lead   mine.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Do you know if "cousin" has any other interpretation than the current one in early census data?

I think it was the same meaning then as it is now.

Given the query on her surname - you may struggle to find a connection.  She was probably married by the 1901 census and may even have returned to the IOM & married there rather than Lancashire

Freebmd has an awful lot of marriages for a "Lydia" in Lancs between 1891-1901 but none with surname Quirk

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Until   1923   there   were  only  2  marriages  in   IOM with   bride  a   Lydia   Quirk.

Lydia  Quirk   10th June 1884   at    Cronk   y   Voddy  Pcyc  5   to   John  Tear   [  possibly  spelt  TEARE]

and

Lyddia  Quirk  4th  Sept 1886   P  Pat  13   to    John  Joseph    Cottier

Brian   Lawson's   Index.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the data-it helps from an elimination point of view.I have also looked at the variant name "Quick" but no luck either.What does strike me is the disparity in age between Lydia and the parent Jones's.The relationship is normally defined with the head of the household which would make them cousins 25 years apart,though I don't know what,if anything,to make of this.

Roger