Author Topic: Irish Passenger Lists to South Africa  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Boere

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irish Passenger Lists to South Africa
« on: Wednesday 09 November 11 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
I am trying to trace my GGGfather Thomas Warren born in Cork in 1828 and married in South Africa in 1851. Around the potato famine time.
I have searched for passenger lists with no luck. Can anyone help?
Cheers Willi
McGowan: Maghera, Coleraine, Co Derry, Ireland.
Tilsley: Nantwich, Cheshire, UK.
Shattock: Bristol, Gloustershire, UK.
Warren: Cork, Co Cork, Ireland.

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Passenger Lists to South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 July 19 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

What was Thomas Warren’s religion and do you have the name of his father?

Kind regards

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 July 19 08:25 BST (UK) »
I am not completely sure on this but I think he would sail Cork to London (or Plymouth) and then perhaps another ship  to South Africa. This ship may have been destined for Australia, stopping at Capetown. My ancestor sailed London to Sydney and the ship's diary notes several passengers getting on in Capetown, so presumably some got off.
Its just a theory!
shume from Australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 July 19 08:42 BST (UK) »
Add.. there are many sources via Google but this link should show you what's available and that ships usually departed England etc.

http://www.eggsa.org/cgi-bin/dolistVoyages.pl
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline scott family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 April 22 02:27 BST (UK) »
Only first class passengers were listed. Steerage...you would be lucky if they existed.All the Irish were catholic who left with the potato famine as tey were not allowed to own land in Ireland if Catholic. My ggf was Samuel Alfred Riddle b Dublin. I traced him through his marriage and many many children in South Africa.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 April 22 14:11 BST (UK) »
Only first class passengers were listed. Steerage...you would be lucky if they existed.All the Irish were catholic who left with the potato famine as tey were not allowed to own land in Ireland if Catholic. My ggf was Samuel Alfred Riddle b Dublin. I traced him through his marriage and many many children in South Africa.

I think you need to study Irish history before making such sweeping and incorrect statements. There is much information available online about the Penal Laws, land ownership in Ireland, etc. Not all the Irish who left Ireland during the Famine period were Catholic or left because of the Famine.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 April 22 00:03 BST (UK) »

I think you need to study Irish history before making such sweeping and incorrect statements. There is much information available online about the Penal Laws, land ownership in Ireland, etc. Not all the Irish who left Ireland during the Famine period were Catholic or left because of the Famine.

Also incorrect about the naming of steerage passengers. 

When my mother started researching her Irish ancestry (1940s/50s) she was told that her people were in a group of 'unnamed Irish passengers in steerage'.  With the growth of recording we then found that in fact the passengers were not unnamed or unknown but had not been transcribed

Many came from Ireland to the colonies as part of various schemes and no Captain or shipping agent would have been allowed to have passengers destined for the colonies and claim the subsidies/fees without names being noted.  In fact there is often more information about these passengers now, as you can often cross match them to land records in the place of destination.  It is the ones who paid for their passages that often do not have the same amount of information as to exactly where they were destined, who had sponsored them, if they were part of emigration schemes. 

I must admit getting a bit annoyed at some of this (mis) information that may have the effect of turning people away from searching for their Irish kinfolk.  They perceive it will be too difficult.  In fact it can be tricky but by no means impossible and the journey is fascinating across a wide range of interesting census substitutes.

Offline scott family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 April 22 00:14 BST (UK) »
It would help if people stop bagging each other but instead supplied useful information. This platform is not for emotions but for helping each other understanding and suppyling links if they exist. If you need a platform to elevate yourself try Twitter.  All the Irish I have been in contact with have uttered these sayings. It wuld be nice if someone nice added..If you check this site ot that link you can find more useful information.and I note no males adding opinions.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 April 22 00:21 BST (UK) »
Please do not blame us for correcting your incorrect statements. Shanreagh and I have, between us, many years of researching with Irish records and what we have posted are facts not 'emotions.'
Unfortunately many of the people who say Irish research is so difficult either haven't really tried to research properly and/or repeat erroneous details.
I have no idea what you mean by mentioning Twitter and 'note no males adding opinions.'
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!