Author Topic: Emily MATTHEWS birth?  (Read 28144 times)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
Re: Emily MATTHEWS birth?
« Reply #90 on: Friday 17 February 12 03:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judith
Good to see someone else isn't at work today either.

Annies birth certi gives her fathers age as 28 in 1861, born 1833, the death certi gives his age as 40 years in 1872, born 1832.
Birth cert says born Holland Europe, death says Dover England, mind you his death certi was filled in by wife Caroline where the birth info comes from the goldfields Chaplain.
I still think he is the sailor who arrived on the 'Dirige' in 1860.

Can you find anything on Caroline Roe 1897 at Bathurst, my frien is sstill willing to spend money but I would like to be more sure of who she was before I lash out again.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Friday 17 February 12 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Hey - retirement is great!!  ;D

I have just re-looked at the image for the sailor and I think it is actually VERNES or VERNAS.  His nationality is given as "Rotterdam".  However if his father was a sea-captain he could easily have been born in Dover but still be of Dutch nationality.  I wouldn't like to say that Caroline may have been hard-pressed to remember her own details LOL

There is a public tree (perhaps it's been updated by you or your friend as last entry is 12 Feb) which gives Caroline's name on the transcription of his death as Caroline HANSON.  This transcript also gives the name of his mother as Elizabeth PRINER

Whoo-hoo, next search:

FamilySearch has this:
JOHANNES VERNES   
Birth: 18 DEC 1832     Dordrecht, Zuid Holland, Netherlands
Father:    PIETER VERNES   
Mother:    ELISABETH PRINS

HOWEVER - only a submitted entry  :-\

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Friday 17 February 12 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Now - Caroline ROE/ROWE

The only extra info re Caroline ROE on NSW BMD index is that her parents are given as John, Caroline -  ???.

Looking at the Bathurst Free Press for Wednesday 24 November 1897 there is a Funeral Notice for a Mrs C ROWE of Galley Swamp, from the Bathurst Hospital morgue to the C of E cemetery (it doesn't say but I assume in Bathurst).  I cannot see a death for a C ROWE reg in NSW in 1897 so am wondering if this is Caroline ROE.  However, whether it's the lady we are looking for is another matter.  ::)
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/62037662

Galley Swamp is the name of a mine in Carcoar area, apparently.

Adding - the public tree shows Richard ROWE died at Galley Swamp, buried RC section,Carcoar cemetery - surely this death is her......................................................

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Friday 17 February 12 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Judith, your most likely right, if the were both from the same place its likely that it was her.
I will order another transcription.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 04:18 GMT (UK) »
Had a quick look at the fiche for Parish Registers, Canberra and Goulburn Anglican Diocese, which includes Braidwood and Araluen.

There was very little extra we can add so I assume they may have belonged to a different church, or weren't baptised, buried etc in the Anglican ministry.  Here's what I found:

Annie Elizabeth VERNES, baptised 12 April 1863 at Braidwood.

Aaron ANSON, the elder one who arrived first in 1841 with his wife Elizabeth.
Both buried at Braidwood - Aaron 30 July 1882, Elizabeth 19 September 1888.

Judith

Offline inverkip

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Sunday 22 July 12 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hi to this list. I have recently been doing some research on behalf of a daughter of the Edward Matthews who was born 5 December 1898 at Chiltern. He was the son of Edward Matthews and Elizabeth Ann Rowlands (if that was her real name). I have his marriage and death certificates. I have read through all ten pages of your posts on RootsChat with great interest, and have had the same problems with Elizabeth Ann Rowlands.  My friend confirms that her father seemed to know little about his parents or his siblings. I am in the process of setting her up with a RootsChat account so that she can communicate directly with you all,  so this post is just to confirm that the thread is still active.
Regards,
JB.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Sunday 22 July 12 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi JB,
 I know two of the descendants of this family who will be very interested to tralk to you and find out more about Edwards life and famiy.
I will be able to put your friend  in contact with these ladies, between Rootschat and the Grand daughters I think we worked out all the various marriages of Elizabeth Annie, there were still a couple of children to catch up with and Edward descendants will be very welcome to the family.

mum mum

Offline inverkip

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Sunday 22 July 12 11:06 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Mum Mum. The lady in question is the mother-in-law of my niece, and she has been searching for years for her Matthews relatives. She lives in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Although drawing a blank with Rowlands, I have researched the Matthews line back to the 1840's in Sydney. I will leave my friend to introduce herself, and I have set up a session with her for Saturday 4th August to help her get on to the list. Reminds me a bit of "Find my Family" on TV, and maybe just as good an outcome.
JB