Author Topic: which website should i subscribe to to research family tree......  (Read 1893 times)

Offline hastevenus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
which website should i subscribe to to research family tree......
« on: Thursday 10 November 11 09:38 GMT (UK) »
 ???

hi folks

have been researching my tree for a number of years and have always been a member of Ancestry, i was just wondering if anyone has used the other sites and if they compare..... i am ready to renew membership of Ancestry but thought i would see  what others think..

many thanks

christian

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: which website should i subscribe to to research family tree......
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 November 11 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Find My Past offer a 2 week trial (just remember to cancel your card before the end).  You can then see if their records will be of use.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 November 11 12:18 GMT (UK) »
A lot really depends on whether you have any relatives abroad, or if you have lots of ancestors who lived in the London area, because I think that you can't really beat Ancestry for reseach in Canada, Australia and the USA (World subscription required).  Also, the National Archive records of baptisms, marriages and burials are extremely useful for ancestors who lived in London.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 November 11 12:26 GMT (UK) »
The FindMyPast 2 week trial doesn't include all their records though... not the Parish Records or the military records.
It does have 1911 Census which is good though.

I like both sites... and alternate between the two. I think it depends what stage of research you are at.

If you are at a stage where WW1 records will be useful then Ancestry is good.
If you want army service papers before that date then FindMyPast is better.

If you have not fully researched 1911 census then FindMyPast might be better (although you could do Ancestry and then just subscribe to the 1911 Census seperately)

FindMyPast have digitised images of Cheshire Parish records just released - so if you have Cheshire families that is useful.

FindMyPast are soon to release old newspapers from the newspaper Archive which sounds very interesting.

When I switched from Ancestry to FindMyPast it was the WW1 records I missed most. Now I have switched back to Ancestry I miss the earlier Army Service Papers on Ancestry, the digitised parish registers - and I would like to see the newspapers when they come online.

FindMyPast also has good passenger lists - although I am not sure how that compares with what Ancestry offers as I don't really use them.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 November 11 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry have good outgoing passenger lists, but sadly incoming lists are rather rarer.  So you can see if uncle Bill emigrated to the USA, but you may not be able to find out if he decided to come home again  :)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neil M

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 November 11 08:43 GMT (UK) »
I subscribed to Find My Past instead of Ancestry. I really like the FindMyPast search results and layout. They also cover a lot of records. Sure, they don't have some records that Ancestry have, but in general I much prefer Find My Past.

I'm going to subscribe to Ancestry when I can afford to, but my first choice would be FindMyPast.

Best wishes
Neil
Egginton
Mountford

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 November 11 08:44 GMT (UK) »
As you appear to be in the UK, most libraries have free access to Ancestry library edition, which contains the basics.

I don't subscribe to any of the sites, as I use this facility.

Teddy
 ;)
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline hastevenus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 November 11 12:09 GMT (UK) »
thanks alot

for all the advice, i decided to play safe and renewed ancestry....

thanks for your time...