Author Topic: St. Mary's Church, Dungarvan  (Read 6320 times)

Offline scooper200

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St. Mary's Church, Dungarvan
« on: Thursday 10 November 11 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me what the denomination of St. Mary's Church in Dungarvan is?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: St. Mary's Church, Dungarvan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 November 11 16:41 GMT (UK) »
As is often the case, there was one of each - RC and Church of Ireland, both in the town

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 November 11 16:52 GMT (UK) »
what type of record do you have which mentions St. Mary's, and what is the date ?

The details might help work out which is being referred to...  e.g. name of priest/minister

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline scooper200

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 November 11 20:15 GMT (UK) »
The record is a microfilm of the original parish records from about 1808 to the 1840's - mostly in Latin - the date in question is January 25, 1838 - the denomination is R.C. - I got confused when I looked up St. Mary's in Dungarvan (on Google) and it was listed as Protestant - my people were R.C. and I had them traced via ships and Baptismal records to Dungarvan, didn't know that there were two St. Mary's in Dungarvan, one for each denomination (is that correct?)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 November 11 20:31 GMT (UK) »
It depends on the exact dates, but there were both an R.C. and a Church of Ireland St. Mary's in Dungarvan town, and I believe there still are. They are close to each other and to the south east of the town.

As far as I can tell the present CofI St. Mary's was rebuilt around 1828 but existed well before this. Not sure when the present RC St. Mary's was built but it's referred to as the 'new R. C. chapel' in Lewis 1837. The baptism records go back to 1811, so the parish existed at least that far back.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 November 11 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Here's the RC St. Mary's on Google Street View : link

and the Church of Ireland St. Mary's : link

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline scooper200

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 November 11 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Shane. The fact that the records I am looking at are in Latin would indicate, I think, that they came from an R.C. church and not a Church of Ireland church and the cover of the Baptismal register indicates that the St. Mary's church it was from was in Dungarvan. Neglected to note the priest's name but I think I'm back on track now. It's difficult enough researching the Walshes in Ireland without all the church and civil records, the church and civil parishes, the different townlands, without having the two churches with the same name in each townland. As we say here in Newfoundland "oh, me nerves". Thanks again. Take care.

Frank Walsh

Offline jacko67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 April 12 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone tell me if the R.C church of St Mary's Dungarvan's microfiche/film records in the National Library of Ireland Dublin are indexed or not. I am having a search carried out by someone on holiday in Ireland for two weeks from Australia, so not much time! Thanks, jacko67