Author Topic: Martin Rafferty  (Read 10025 times)

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Rafferty
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 November 11 10:26 GMT (UK) »
I think you will find that Caroline was born Buckland, Berkshire as was their first son Fred.

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 November 11 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Birth: Frederick Refferty 1874 Faringdon district
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HSU

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 November 11 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to Shanew, Sharon & Heywood for all your contributions.  The answers to all the questions raised are "yes"  in all cases according to my research.

I do not have a marriage cert yet for Martin and Caroline Pendle ( sometimes Pendal/Pendel), perhaps that should be my next step.

Thanks again to All for the help.

regards,

Dennis

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 November 11 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I found a tree with Caroline's name - perhaps your tree- but still no marriage to be seen :-\
Heywood

Offline HSU

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 November 11 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

Suspect you have found my tree, Thompson FT1.  Still looking for a marriage for Caroline and Martin but so far I have had no luck!  I wonder if they wed in Ireland?

Regards,

Dennis

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 November 11 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to Shanew, Sharon & Heywood for all your contributions. The answers to all the questions raised are "yes" in all cases according to my research.

I do not have a marriage cert yet for Martin and Caroline Pendle ( sometimes Pendal/Pendel), perhaps that should be my next step.

Thanks again to All for the help.

regards,

Dennis
On Rootsireland I could only find the surnames Pendell, Pendle, and Pendall but there is no marriage records for any of them. They might not even be Carolines

Offline HSU

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 November 11 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann,

Thanks for that.  Looks like a marriage in Ireland is not the answer, so I will go back to searching in English records.

regards,

Dennis

Offline hbaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 December 21 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dennis

I've not used this Rootschat.com website in years and stumbled across it again while picking up the family tree searching project.  I've just done a search for 'Martin Rafferty' and saw your history of posts from a while ago. 

The postings in this thread about a Martin Rafferty married to Caroline Pendle, who had a daughter Emily born 1882 in Oxfordshire, seems to fit the family I'm looking for.  I'm not sure if they are connected to the Rafferty line in my family tree but I'm exploring all options because I've run into a dead-end trying to figure out where in Ireland my Rafferty ancestors came from.   

The reason I'm wondering about a possible connection to this Emily/Martin Rafferty family is the 1901 census shows an Emily Rafferty, born 1882 in Oxfordshire, as a servant where Elizabeth Webber is the head of the household.  Elizabeth Webber's maiden name is Rafferty (born Elizabeth Ann Rafferty 1860 in Pancras, London - parents were Patrick Francis Rafferty and Elizabeth Beverley).  I've not been able to track Patrick Francis Rafferty very well because his birthdate is different on most of his records and it's not clear where he came from in Ireland.

I'm wondering if there's a connection between Emily Rafferty and Elizabeth Webber considering Rafferty is Elizabeth's maiden name?  I've not been able to find anything specific and wondered if you know more about the Martin Rafferty line to see if there's a brother or cousin or relative called Patrick Francis Rafferty. 

I have birth and marriage certificates from Emily and her family if you are still looking for those. 

Hopefully you get this message!  Not sure if you're still active on RootsChat.  I'm on ancestry.co.uk as well. 

Many thanks,
Heather
Lingley, Rafferty, Jones, Taylor, Beverley, Finch
Burnham, Norfolk
Lavenham, Suffolk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 December 21 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Heather,
On his marriage certificate, Patrick Francis has his father as Francis, also a tailor.

1851 2180 /44/1Liverpool

Has a Patrick, 26 yrs, Tailor with parents Francis, tailor, and Mary and siblings.

It might be worth checking if you have not already done so.