Author Topic: Where is Rathnadarrahy?  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Where is Rathnadarrahy?
« on: Friday 11 November 11 11:33 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors, whose children were baptized in Castletownroche, were listed as being from Rathnadarrahy on their children's baptisms.  Other than determining it's in Castletownroche, I can't find any information on where it is.

Can anyone tell me where Rathnadarrahy is?

In case anyone was wondering, my ancestors were Edmond Harrington & Mary Dillon, who married in Castletownroche in 1826.
CAMPBELL (Balleghan), DOUGLAS(S) (Carrowhugh) - Lower Moville, Co. Donegal
HUSBAND(S) (Sneem), SULLIVAN (Kenmare) - Kenmare, Co. Kerry
KEARNEY (Kilmurry/Castleisland), O'CONNOR (Shanaknock/Ballymacelligott) - Tralee, Co. Kerry
KEEFFE (Ballyhooly), HARRINGTON (Rathnadarrahy), DILLON - Castletownroche, Co. Cork
Note: My Irish ancestors ended up in Boston, Massachusetts area of U.S. between 1880 & 1905.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Rathnadarrahy?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 November 11 12:25 GMT (UK) »
it is in Cork

1901 and 1911 census Harrington living at 2 CastleTown, Cork but not at Castletownroche

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

when did they leave Ireland

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 November 11 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  Do you mean County Cork?

I know it's in County Cork (hence me posting in this forum), and I know it's somewhere in the Castletownroche Parish, but I can't find it on a map, or in any listing of local place names.  I was thinking it was a local name for part of a townland.

The last of my Harrington line actually died in the USA in 1903.  I'm not sure when she left Ireland, as I can't find her on any census, but my guess is in the 1890s.  I don't know if she had any relatives still living around Castletownroche by the censuses, as I don't know what happened to the rest of her family.
KEARNEY (Kilmurry/Castleisland), O'CONNOR (Shanaknock/Ballymacelligott) - Tralee, Co. Kerry
KEEFFE (Ballyhooly), HARRINGTON (Rathnadarrahy), DILLON - Castletownroche, Co. Cork
Note: My Irish ancestors ended up in Boston, Massachusetts area of U.S. between 1880 & 1905.

Offline oldkingkole

• RootsChat Extra
  • west Cork and around Cork Harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 November 11 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Your right not easy to find
the main google reference seems to be one lucky man who won the lottery twice, so the name is still used.

Doesn't seem to be in Griffith's but if you go to Cork Past and Present they have a series of maps called the 'Grand Jury Map'. These maps are from 1811 and are a great way to find less known places.

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/mapsimages/grandjurymapofcountycork1811/grandjurymap3/#d.en.15536

You can see a Rathnadorery half way along  the road from Castletownroche NorthWest to Shannakilly
so its not far out of Town.

Curiously if you look at the modern Google Map of the same area this spot is also specifically marked as 'Castletownroche' along with the township of Castletownroche also being separately labelled.

I haven't searched for it on other older maps or almanac's but it's worth a look. It's surely a great web site !!

Padraig
O Driscoll, McCarthy, Collins, Fitzgerald, Johnson, Gunn, Swanton, Barry, O'Neill, O'Mahony,
O Donoughue, O Mahony, Connolly, Cadogan.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 November 11 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I can always count on the people on these boards to find those obscure Irish places for me.  ;D

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 November 11 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Here is a way to get info:

The death has occurred of Thomas (Tom) H***** of Rathnadarrahy, Castletownroche, Cork

Reposing at Hannon's Funeral Home, Doneraile. Rosary today, Tuesday, at 9.30pm. Removal tomorrow, Wednesday, at 8.30pm to the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Castletownroche. Requiem Mass on Thursday at 2pm. Burial afterwards in the local cemetery.

Date published: Tuesday, September 28, 2010
Date of death: Monday, September 27, 2010

The contact details of the funeral home are here:
http://www.iafd.ie/members/cork

A quick phone call might fill you in on exactly where it is!

PM

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 November 11 16:33 GMT (UK) »
I should probably point out that the Rathnadorery found NW of Castletownroche on the 1811 map does seem to be the place I'm looking for.

It was spelled as Rathnadarihy on most of the baptism records I found, but one did have Rathnadararee.

When I Googled it, I got the spelling suggested as Rathnadarrahy, which I'm assuming is the now standardized spelling.

Thank you all for your help!   ;)

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 November 11 11:34 GMT (UK) »
you could ask on this site http://www.rip.ie

family name Linehan from Rathnadarrahy, Castletownroche, Cork died in 2011

so this site should be able to tell you were Rathnadarraphy is.

if you go through google and type in the Box Rathnadarrahy, Castletownroche the map comes up with a large grass field?

Rathnadarrahy is a townland near Castletownroche