Author Topic: Where is Rathnadarrahy?  (Read 3890 times)

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Rathnadarrahy?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 November 11 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Someone had sent me a personal message the other day that he or she had found Rathnadarrahy on a map via Google, & it was a townland NW of the village of Castletownroche.
CAMPBELL (Balleghan), DOUGLAS(S) (Carrowhugh) - Lower Moville, Co. Donegal
HUSBAND(S) (Sneem), SULLIVAN (Kenmare) - Kenmare, Co. Kerry
KEARNEY (Kilmurry/Castleisland), O'CONNOR (Shanaknock/Ballymacelligott) - Tralee, Co. Kerry
KEEFFE (Ballyhooly), HARRINGTON (Rathnadarrahy), DILLON - Castletownroche, Co. Cork
Note: My Irish ancestors ended up in Boston, Massachusetts area of U.S. between 1880 & 1905.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 09:52 GMT (UK) »
It may be an area in/near Castletownroche but it doesn't appear as a townland anywhere that I can find.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 10:00 GMT (UK) »
The location indicated by Google maps for Rathnadarrahy is at the border between two townlands - Castletownroche and Skenakilla. Other than a couple of houses, the OSI maps dont show any other details.

see : Castletownroche / Skenakilla

I dont see any entry for Rathnadarrahy (or variations) on the placename database of Ireland at www.logainm.ie. This includes towns and townlands, and also many small villages and districts. Assuming the Google reference is correct, then it would appear that Rathnadarrahy might be a local name for a section of that road between Castletownroche and Ballygown.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 23:29 GMT (UK) »
I was told it was a townland.  Personally, I assumed it was probably an area smaller than a townland, or possibly an archaic local place name.

Honestly, I don't care what it is, I just wanted to know where it was.
CAMPBELL (Balleghan), DOUGLAS(S) (Carrowhugh) - Lower Moville, Co. Donegal
HUSBAND(S) (Sneem), SULLIVAN (Kenmare) - Kenmare, Co. Kerry
KEARNEY (Kilmurry/Castleisland), O'CONNOR (Shanaknock/Ballymacelligott) - Tralee, Co. Kerry
KEEFFE (Ballyhooly), HARRINGTON (Rathnadarrahy), DILLON - Castletownroche, Co. Cork
Note: My Irish ancestors ended up in Boston, Massachusetts area of U.S. between 1880 & 1905.