Author Topic: ROGERS, Mountain Level, Upper Race, 1860s - 1910s  (Read 4150 times)

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ROGERS, Mountain Level, Upper Race, 1860s - 1910s
« on: Saturday 12 November 11 08:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find more details about the lives of the children of David ROGERS (c1838, Builth - 1910 Panteg) and Margaret Elizabeth MORGAN (1841, Mynyddyslwyn - 1913, Panteg).  David and Margaret were my gg-grandparents.  There were (at least) 8 children:

1.  Elizabeth Ann ROGERS, born 1863 (reg Q4, Pontypool, 11a, 132), Trevethin (according to 1871 census), Panteg (according to 1881 census), I lose track of her after 1881

2.  Ada ROGERS born about 1865 (can't find a record on FreeBMD), Trevethin (according to 1871 census), I lose track of her after 1871

3.  William Ralph ROGERS born c1868 (reg Q1, Pontypool, 11a, 148), Panteg (according to 1871 and 1881 census), Pontypool (according to 1911 census), married Catherine JONES 1888, died (reg1904, Q4, Abergavenny, 11a, 35)

4.  Margaret ROGERS born c1869, Panteg (according to 1871, 1881 and 1891 census), I lose track of her after 1891.

5.  Thomas ROGERS born c1871, Panteg (according to 1881 and 1891), Pontypool according to 1901 census).  I lose track of him after 1901.

6.  Maud Mary ROGERS (my great-grandmother), (1873-1933)

7.  Jane May ROGERS, born 1879 (reg Q2, Pontypool, 11a, 140), married 1909 with Joseph Birkin EDWARDS, on 1911 census at Gilfach Goch

8.  David ROGERS, born 1883 (reg Q4, Pontypool, 11a, 139)

Census records:
1871 at Furnace Row, Upper Race, Panteg, Monmouthshire, Wales (parents, children 1-4)
1881 at Mountain Level, Panteg, Monmouthshire, Wales (parents, children 1, 3-7)
1891 at Mountain Level, Upper Race, Monmouth, Wales (parents, children 4-8)
1901 at 4 Mountain Level, Panteg - part of, Monmouthshire, Wales (parents, children 5, eight)
1911 in Upper Race nr Pontypool, Monmouthshire, Wales  (parents, child eight)

Can anyone please help to fill in some details?
CRUST - Kent (Kingsnorth, Mersham)
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ROGERS, Mountain Level, Upper Race, 1860s - 1910s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 November 11 22:34 GMT (UK) »
there are transcriptions online of Panteg parish records

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~monfamilies/Panteg-Parish-Record-Transcripts.htm

Not all the family baptisms are there, but the Jane born 1879 looks to have been a second Jane as there was one baptised 7/3/1875

Maud May's marriage is there, I assume you have that one as it's your direct line, but also Elizabeth Ann's in 1893 to Percival Michael Martin

1901 13  Railway Tce, Resolven, Glam RG13/5055 folio57 pg 3
Michall Martin head mar 40 police sergeant Glam C C b. Ireland
Elizth 37 hospital nurse b. Ponytpool
Margaret Aile(e)n dau 6 b. Swansea
Violet Maude dau 4 b. Neath
Robert Jones boarder 27 police constable Glam C C b. Merioneth, Dolgelly

1891 Elizabeth Ann is boarding in Penarth RG12/4403 folio 12 pg 18, 1881 she's a ward assistant in the Central London Sick Asylum, Highgate Infirmary RG11/224 folio 101 pg 3.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 November 11 23:03 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if Ada on the 1871 is an error and it should be Edith? There's an Edith aged 16 as the oldest daughter at home in 1881.

Birth reg
Edith Rogers sept qtr 1865 Pontypool vol 11a pg 132
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 November 11 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Osprey.  The Panteg site is very useful.  I have also wondered if Edith was Ada...
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 November 11 11:28 GMT (UK) »
realised I hadn't looked for a marriage for Edith in the transcripts & she's there in 1894, with sister Elizabeth Ann Martin as witness.

1901 Shillingford, Warborough, Oxfordshire RG13/4403 folio 12 pg 18
James Price head mar 41 gardener domestic b. Mon, Abergavenny
Edith wife 35 b. Mon, Pontypoool
Dora May dau 6 b. Bucks, Slough
James H son 4 b. Berks, Wallingford
Margaret M dau 2 b. Berks, Wallingford
Frederick T son 5 months b. Oxon, Shillingford

so just Margaret to find now.

;)

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 November 11 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks osprey.  I had noticed Edith on the transcripts, and followed through to the 1901 and 1911 censuses.  Still not sure how Ada became Edith, but I guess they sound similar.

Many thanks for all your help with this.
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline fogster74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 October 23 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Jonathon,

I believe Joseph Birkin Edwards may have been my great grandfather (he was a police sergeant in Bargoed). I am doing some more research

Best, Steve

PS My family still live in the area - my parents (dad was Joseph's grandson, assuming it's the same Joseph) still live in Llanbradach.

I'm doing some more digging

Offline fogster74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 October 23 14:49 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find more details about the lives of the children of David ROGERS (c1838, Builth - 1910 Panteg) and Margaret Elizabeth MORGAN (1841, Mynyddyslwyn - 1913, Panteg).  David and Margaret were my gg-grandparents.  There were (at least) 8 children:

1.  Elizabeth Ann ROGERS, born 1863 (reg Q4, Pontypool, 11a, 132), Trevethin (according to 1871 census), Panteg (according to 1881 census), I lose track of her after 1881

2.  Ada ROGERS born about 1865 (can't find a record on FreeBMD), Trevethin (according to 1871 census), I lose track of her after 1871

3.  William Ralph ROGERS born c1868 (reg Q1, Pontypool, 11a, 148), Panteg (according to 1871 and 1881 census), Pontypool (according to 1911 census), married Catherine JONES 1888, died (reg1904, Q4, Abergavenny, 11a, 35)

4.  Margaret ROGERS born c1869, Panteg (according to 1871, 1881 and 1891 census), I lose track of her after 1891.

5.  Thomas ROGERS born c1871, Panteg (according to 1881 and 1891), Pontypool according to 1901 census).  I lose track of him after 1901.

6.  Maud Mary ROGERS (my great-grandmother), (1873-1933)

7.  Jane May ROGERS, born 1879 (reg Q2, Pontypool, 11a, 140), married 1909 with Joseph Birkin EDWARDS, on 1911 census at Gilfach Goch

8.  David ROGERS, born 1883 (reg Q4, Pontypool, 11a, 139)

Census records:
1871 at Furnace Row, Upper Race, Panteg, Monmouthshire, Wales (parents, children 1-4)
1881 at Mountain Level, Panteg, Monmouthshire, Wales (parents, children 1, 3-7)
1891 at Mountain Level, Upper Race, Monmouth, Wales (parents, children 4-8)
1901 at 4 Mountain Level, Panteg - part of, Monmouthshire, Wales (parents, children 5, eight)
1911 in Upper Race nr Pontypool, Monmouthshire, Wales  (parents, child eight)

Can anyone please help to fill in some details?

Hello again!!

I realise this was a decade ago that you asked this but I'm going to fill in the blanks for one part of the siblings!

I can confirm Jane May Rogers was my great grandmother!  She married Joseph Birkin Edwards; they had three children - Jenny, Richard (my grandfather) and David, and Joseph was a sergeant in the Police in Bargoed.

Incidentally, Jane was known in the family as "Jenni" or "Jenny" (hence her giving this name to her daughter).

Regarding their three children:

- Richard ('Dick') worked as an apprentice at the Supermarine Spitfire Company in Southampton before returning to South Wales where he joined the National Coal Board, working his way up to the Safety and Electrical Foreman at Tredomen Engineering Works in Ystrad Mynach. He lived in Tredomen for much of his life (married to Patricia Partridge); sadly Patricia (my grandmother) died around 1979 (I do remember her well) - she had a history of poor physical and mental health but I remember her so kindly and adored her. After her death, my grandfather moved to a bungalow opposite my parents' home Llanbradach (around 1981) and lived there until his death in 2009. He was a hugely important figure to me. Richard and Patricia only had one son - David (my father); he grew up in the home in Tredomen and then moved just down the road to Llanbradach where he's lived his whole life married to my mother Margaret. My father was a card rep for much of his life, my mother worked various part time jobs when we were slightly and then around the mid 1990s they opened a Card Shop in Ystrad Mynach which they still run today (now in their 70s!!). If you're anywhere near you should pop in and introduce yourself!! They had three children - myself and my two brothers. We have moved around a lot - I lived in Abu Dhabi for a bit but now Gloucs, with one brother in Cardiff and one in Zurich.

- Jenny (Richard's sister) was older than Richard and I believe she went to university in Aberdare Hall at Cardiff and then went on to become a teacher and headmistress (living much of her life in Crowthorne). She married someone called (I think) David, and was a wonderful woman whom I adored. She dies around the late 1990s or maybe early 2000s. She had a son called Fred who spent his adult life using the name David - he's still alive and lives in London and is the most remarkable man, having held very senior positions in Pepsi-Cola and Unilever. I saw him just a few weeks ago. He has children and is a grandfather.

- The last sibling, David, was a pharmacist and a Field Sargent Major in the British Army in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe). He passed away around late 1990s - I didn't really know him but he spent his life in Africa and died there.

We're aware of two cousins who my Aunt Jenny was close to - Ernie and David Price - who we'd love to know more about. We suspect that they may be the children of someone on your list! They were (we think) police officers in Swansea. It seems the family were full of people in the force as I think Joseph Birkin's father (Jane's husband) was also in the police and perhaps even an original Peeler!